Still happily using vintage gear?

I was sitting listening to my main system consisting of an Audio Research SP8 preamp, NYAL Moscode 600 Maxi, Vandersteen 5 speakers, Thorens TD126MkIII with Sumiko Blue Point, VPI HW16, and was completely satisfied, again, with the experience. (Kimber 12TC, Morrow, Straightwire, AQ and Furman accessories)
All the equipment has been well cared for and kept in good repair: caps replaced, TT overhauled etc.
But it has an average age of about 30 years!
I love reading about all the latest gear, and lust after some of it dearly, but... I'm satisfied with what I have.
I'm playing with digital and having my fun with that, but I was wondering:
Is anyone else still happy with equipment that is now considered "vintage"?
(I don't think of it as "vintage", I just think of it as long-lasting!)
So... what's the oldest piece in your rig?
Mine is the Moscode. 40 years young.

fredapplegate

My system is similar to the OP's:  Audio Research SP8 preamp and Vandersteen 4 speakers with Vandersteen's active/passive crossover.  They are bi-amped by two Audio Research VT200's.  My turntable is a SOTA Nova and my CD player is a Jolida.  I love the sound.  So, here's my question:  what DAC would you add to this mix?  I have considered an ARC...it would probably fit right in.  But, I wonder if I should take advantage of more recent technology.  What are your thoughts, collective wisdom?

My regularly maintained and occasionally updated MFA Luminescence tube preamp and M120 mono amps continue to sound absolutely lovely. I came close to selling the three components earlier this year, but Providence and reason prevailed and I did not.  I've had this gear for decades, and after much experimentation and auditioning of other components, I realized I needn't look further because I was already "there."

I've about a dozen vintage pieces all rebuilt that rotate through our living room. All but two are over 50 years old. LP12 is a 1978 and a new Parasound phono.

I have a nice modern stereo in our basement but the vintage gear gets the most use by far.

Oh, shame on me. I forgot to mention my Linn LP12.  Modest upgrades over the years and now running the original Ittok arm with a Hana LO cart.

Hello All,

I just sort of ended up with vintage gear, as a friend gave me my tube amps, but I love my systems. In the house I have -

Dynaco ST-70, VTA Driver board, Triode Cap Board, fully rebuilt

NAD 1155 Pre, recapped and modded as per LeeStereo

Technics SL-1200, KAB tonearm rewire and Cardas interconnect

B&W P4 Speakers, I think these are the newest of the lot at 1995

Shop System -

Technics SL1600 MK2

NAD 1020 pre, fully rebuilt

NAD 2200 fully gone through by Peter at Quirk Audio for the lows

Dual Heathkit W5M’s for the highs, fully gone through with SDS cap board upgrade

B&W 702’s, again, probably the newest component

Both tables have AT VM540ML carts. I sometimes use a Rek-O-Kut Rondine table.

For the money I spent, not counting the countless hours of tweaking, I can’t imagine better sound out of new gear. I’m sure I’d be in many multiples to get the same sound quality.

Take care,

Geoff