Step up transformer recommendation

I am looking for a SUT to work with my Rega apheta 3 and audio research PH3SE.  Had the apheta 3 with the Rega Fono MC just did not do it for me.  I am thinking I can use my PH3SE but need SUT. 

I liked the way the PH3SE sounded with REGA Exact 2.  Upgraded to Apheta 3 and Rega Fono and it was not the upgrade I hoped for.  Want to dump Rega Fono and use PH3SE with Apheta 3.

Any help please.

Thanks, Tony

agrogon

I have the older PH3SE phono preamp 'not the reference'  I added the resistors for the 100 ohms input impedance adjustment.  The system played but at a really low volume, I could hear the music when I turned it up to 70% volume.  

Yes this preamp has a fixed gain of 54dB, probably do want SUT of 1:10?

Should I invest in SUT and use the PH3SE or would money be better spent on a dedicated MC phono preamp?  

I would love to hear what is recommended from others. 

@agrogon 

I would try and see if you can borrow a 1:10 transformer to see if the gain is right.

1:5 transformers are rare.

Have you tried the PH3SE straight in at 47k ?

K&K Audio offer reasonably priced MC step up's using Lundahl transformers.

Tthe basic kit using the LL9206 offers you 14/20/26 db selectable. They will build the kit for you - price is very reasonable. 20db is 1:10, 14db is 1:5 ( I think ).

http://www.kandkaudio.com/moving-coil-phono-step-up-kits/

I have a Slagle 1:5 SUT that I have been using successfully for a similar set up. I’m thinking about going to a different system so I may be selling it.