Stax Lambda Pro Headphones--Can sound Hard??

I bought a used pair of Lambda "Pro" phones with SRM 7 box. They sound very good and generally better than every dynamic phones I have tried, but also sound a bit "hard" in the high frequencies,. I only occasionally use them, so I don't want to sink any big bucks into "mods" or expensive interconnects. I have them wired to a McIntosh 1700 receiver speaker outputs to avoid hooking the transformer box to my amp. I also have a cable running (Audioquest "Coral") from my preamp to listen to CD, tape and Turntable. Any suggestions on improving the overall sound, and eliminating the "hardness" Thanks, Jim
sunnyjim
Hello

Audio cables are not tone controls!You need to change your current SRM-7 box,for a truly Stax class A amplifier.These ordinary Stax box are not in the same league.

Good luck
I would agree with the last comment. I have had the same Pro Lambda's and the accompaning "box" for over a decade now. Whereas they are incredibly clean and revealing (at least with my passive pre and forte 1a power amp) they are a bit hard as you say and I believe this is due to the transformer box. The way to go is to get the stax class A tube amp made for these headphones and connect your pre directly to the stax tube amp. Having your stax headphones going through a McInstosh receiver could only make them 'harder' sounding.
I have a pair of Lambda Pros also and listen through the SRD-P portable transistorized amplifier. Yes these phones can sound harsh at times but for revealing detail they are unsurpassed. As Famaraca says the Stax Class A amp is the way to go.