Standmount speakers. I have $5000.

I'm shopping standmount speakers. I have $5000.  New or pre-owned is fine.

And:

Micromega M100 integrated pre/amp/dac
Syzygy SLF870 sub x2 (12" drivers, 1200w ea, 20-200Hz, room correction)
Dynaudio Stand 4

room = ~5000 cu. ft, 20'x 18' with 13'-17' vaulted ceiling

The new standmounts will replace Nola Boxers v1 ($1500 new in 2013)

I'm lazy about travel to audition anything but might for local options (esp. to vet pre-owned). I'd probly deal with in-home trial.

As semi-arbitrary starting point I'm looking at Salk SS 7M's ($4995 new). Any others I simply must consider?

Thanks!
usery

Showing 6 responses by b_limo

Man, so many good options already listed.  I saw some Salks yesterday at RMAF and I really like Salk now.  They are finished beautifully.  The designer seemed first rate as well.

I looove Joseph Audio Speakers.  They Are gorgeous and Seas drivers may be my personal favorite sounding drivers.  The Pulsars may be the best sounding (to me) stand mounts that I’ve heard.  I love Nola Boxers as well so our tastes might be similar.  

Dynaudio Special 40’s would be a great choice too.  They are beautiful, made extremely well and to a very high standard.  The drivers are  made in house and are special in my opinion.   These Dyn’s are non-fatiguing and have great tone / musicality in my oppinion, and they play loud without strain.

Fritz Carrera Be would be one to look at too!

Any 1 of these 4 should satisfy you for a long time!!  I’m jealous :(
I personally would go with the Dynaudio Special 40’s or the Joseph Audio Pulsars...

The Pulsars sound so so good.  Really sweet and refined to my ears.  I just always love them.  I don’t think that you can go wrong with those Dyn’s though.  I’ve seen them used for $2000.  At that price you could easily resell them if you didn’t like them but I really think you’d like them.

I think counting me, you got 3 recommendations for the Dyn’s and 2 for the Pulsars :-)
Kenjit, he actually had an audiogram and then after that went through a frequency sweep in .01 increments where he rated each cycle, or hertz, on a scale from 1-1000, depending on how much he liked that particular hertz.  It was a lengthy process but was needed in order to establish a baseline.

After that, he took his data and entered it into a database where every single speaker ever made has had it’s exact frequency response plotted and graphed.  After years and years of research he landed himself on the perfect speaker for his ears AND listening preferences based on how the results of HIS hearing and HIS listening preferences.

I’m not quite sure if you analyzed the results of his audio gram and the results of his preferred frequency response graphs but if you have not, whats your basis for determining that the B&W’s have too much treble for his personal tastes, in his room, with his associated equipment...

Maybe you would be so kind as to enlighten us further as to how you came to that conclusion...
“I do use the equalizer controls on my McIntosh C48 pre amp to fine tune for my ears.”

OMG, are you saying that you were able to tune your speakers to your liking with 1 knob??  Why the heck did we run the Audiosweep / Audiogram / Frequency Response preference tests?

I think Kenjit might be right afterall.  Those speakers have too much treble for your ears... we’ll need to do the tests all over again :(
My Atc SCM7 were ghe most power hungry speakers I’ve ever had.  I do think Atc’s need lots of quality current.

You’ve got one heck of a list going there.  All excellent choices.  I think what it really is going to come down to is which speaker will sound best with your equipment, music preferences and what you value most in a speaker.

I’d stop your list now and start figuring out what speaker is going to compliment your front end and listening tastes!

Keep us posted and enjoy!!