SS amps as good as the classic ARC 100.2?

Browsing various "archives" I came upon many recommendations for the Audio Research 100.2, which has been discontinued some ten years. Is it still a reliable "gold standard" worth paying $$ for, or are there better modern alternatives, SS amps at least as good and within the same price class, and (perhaps) not Class A? The ARC 100.2 was $3500 (today maybe retail $5000 adjusted for inflation) and ran Class AB but was biased very high, 150W idle.

I have Bel Canto S300i Class D, First Watt F3 Class A, and Unico SE hybrid. I like them, but tubes are better....

I listen mostly to small ensemble classical (Early Music), vocal, and some jazz. The qualities I look for, and can get from tubes, are Palpability, Presence, and Pulse. I have attended a lot of live concerts often within spitting distance of the performers. I stick to realistic listening volumes and sensitive speakers so I don't think I really need all that much Power/Prat.

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated! -- William
wchang
I have a 100. 2 and also love it. Bought it when it first came out. It is very musical and drives my Maggie with ease! I have not compared it to any thing newer.
ss amps and tube amps sound different. there is no point in trying to emulate the sound of tubes with a ss amp.

by the way there are better ar amps to consider, like the d79.
Thank you both!

Anyone compared 100.2 with Parasound Halo, Spectron Musician, Unico SE etc?

Ideally I'm hoping to find a lower-bias/non-class A candidate, or one with "standby" to reduce substantially the warm-up time needed for best sound.
I cannot speak to long-term reliability but if you are looking for well-reviewed SS Class A without the enormous price tag, you might try Clayton Audio.

Or you could go for the older Forte 4 amps...you could buy 2 for 1500 or perhaps less...and monoblock. End up with upwards of 200 watts of pure Class A power. Good luck! Sounds like you've already got a good choice.