Spendor D9.2 vs. Harbeth super hl5 plus xd + REL Stentor III vs. Spendor Classic 100?

I am thinking of purchasing one of the following:

1). Harbeth SHL5 plus XD + REL Stentor III Reference Subwoofer due to lack of bass and low octave in bass.

2). Spendor Classic 100 - The bass is a bit noticeable and aggressive. 

3). Spendor D9.2.

My living room where the system will stand is: 5.5 meters x 8 meters, a standard ceiling of 2.7 meters and the entire construction is a 20 cm block. From the living room comes a 25 meters kitchen. The speakers I choose can stand up to about 1 meter from the front wall.

Anyone who has heard of at least 2 of them or a previous generation and can have an opinion on a comparison between them?

Thank you very much for your help.

128x128tomer_tsin

Showing 2 responses by kren0006

So the Spendor D series sound quite different from the Spendor classic. To me the D series is much preferable, but others prefer the classic series. I started with D7 (absolutely love it - settled on after demoing over 20 competitors, see my early posts if you want details), then acquired classic SA1 and D1 bookshelves for other systems (still own and love all of them), and will be building my main system now around D9.2. So yeah, I’m a Spendor fanboy you could say.

The differences in sound between classic and D series that I can speak to mostly come down to the tweeter. D series uses the LPZ tweeter that is purely an in-house 100% Spendor design that gives them a modern, lively sound. Great sparkle up top, tons of detail, neutral not bight, but a modern sound. Not forward like Paradigm Persona or Bowers 80xd3 series or even Focal. The tweeters on all of those are much more forward than the LPZ of Spendor D series, just to keep things in perspective. But LPZ still has all the detail, and I love that about them. Note they do take hundreds of hours to break in and can sound bright during break in so be aware of that.

The tweeters in classic Spendor are typically third party soft domes that Spendor specs, and are great in their own right. More laid back but for some that is better. Since you are also interested in Harbeths perhaps you may be one. For my tastes Harbeth house sound a bit too laid back but that is just me (to be fair very little experience here, just heard couple times at dealer don’t even recall model - so I can’t offer any opinion of model you’re considering). To each their own. I have never heard the large classic Spendors, only the bookshelves (plus all of the A line). Obviously some of the larger classics have bigger cabinets and that will affect bass. Again, D series uses the most advanced porting system in comparison to A line or classic, which they talk about the ports being inspired by F1 race cars (seems a bit hyperbole but whatever).

I love the D’s. Some who love the historical Spendor sound prefer the classic line and consider the D line too much of a departure from the tried and true. For me the D is in the perfect sweet spot. All the beautiful midrange Spendor is acclaimed for but now with the top end to match
What OP said he/she wants:
I prefer precise and high resolution speakers that have control low bass-smooth midrange-detailed treble, with internal imagery and attacks, high-pitched sound and instrument simulation.

------
To me OP’s desired sonic traits align better with Spendor D series than classic Spendor or Harbeth. If anything that description of preference points away from classic Spendor or Harbeth, based on my experience. Just sayin’.  YMMV
-----