Spendor D9.2 Run In

Just got new Spendor D9.2's, primarily because of the well regarded midrange, and wanted to know how long the run-in will take based on experience.  I generally don't play them loud, but when I do they seem to blare.  A bit concerning.  Also when played at moderate levels the mids sound tuned high.  What is the deal?  Thanks

alphonsodamato

Showing 4 responses by kren0006

That's normal.  It takes awhile for everything to break in and settle down. I've got three D series with LPZ tweeter.  Absolutely amazing when broken in, but give it a couple hundred hours (no kidding).  They sound bright when new but neutral and glorious in the end.  Different sound from traditional Spendor, the D series is

When I settled on D7’s, I demo’d a couple dozen different speakers before finalizing. Spendor D series, to me anyway, is neutral, and sounds the best in its price range and higher. Brighter speakers include Focal Kanta/Sopra, Magico, Paradigm Persona, B&W 800 series, etc., and warmer speakers include Harbeth, Sonus Faber, classic Spendor, Vandersteen, etc.

Just my opinion. YMMV. Everyone hears differently.

No right or wrong answers. Everyone prefers a different tonality. I say steak is better than lobster - you say lobster is better than steak. Both are correct for themselves

Stick with them. They take long to break in. The mids will come around and surpass what you are used to

That’s what we all told you, based on our own ownership experience, would happen once they broke in ; )