Spectrum analyzer?

Can someone suggest some options for acquiring some form of real time frequency analysis to help with speaker/room interactions?

I don't know if it makes sense to buy or rent hardware, go the laptop/software route, etc.

Thanks in advance.
madfloyd
Kr4...You say "Corrections based on RTA, only, are chancy."

Perhaps, but the $350 I bet on my first DEQ2496 has paid off better than any other expendature on my audio system.

As the saying goes "Don't let the search for perfection prevent the very good".
I said "chancy" intentionally; it does not mean that they never work. Besides, flattening the bass response, by itself, is advantageous.

Many people have had excellent results with the DEQ2496 using REW as the tool for setting up the filters. I do not know what tools for measurement are built into the DEQ2496, itself.

Kal
pc/laptop, nice sound card, like echo layla firewire + any condenser mic arround $100usd.-$200usd.
rode, mxl, adk, audio-technica, etc...

+ any software, from free Mda vst plugins to generate noise, to izotope ozone RTA to analize noise, to cubase/nuendo or sonar scope, to RME scope meter, etc..

but the best RTA its your ears,
make everything as silent as possible , then clap real hard
if you listen something other than your hands clapping, thats what you need to fix.

i dificult room could need +-24dB of EQ in some bands,
a good treated room needs less.
the sound of every eq its a bit diferent.

square rooms are dificult.
rectangular are better.
etc...
Juanpablocuervo wrote:
but the best RTA its your ears,
make everything as silent as possible , then clap real hard
if you listen something other than your hands clapping, thats what you need to fix.
Actually true since no RTA will give you that information about ringing and decay that your ears detect. Of course, REW will do it graphically and tell you how to filter it.

i dificult room could need +-24dB of EQ in some bands,
a good treated room needs less.
How true.

Kal