Spectron vs Parasound vs Cary vs ?

I need help deciding on my next move for a 2 channel amp. I will be powering my B&W 802D speakers thru a Cary SLP03 tube preamp. I am currently using a Cary cinema 7B amp as I prefer it sound to the Krell 400Xi that I have been using. The Krell is too hard and etching on highs. The Cary offers a better balance and warmer sound without giving up any detail. I have also been considering the Cary Cinema 2 which is twice the ouput of the Cinema 7B @ 200W. I have been considering the Specton, Parasound A21 and perhaps a Pass amp. My budget is 4K, new or used.

Sources are Rega Planar 2 turntable, Oppo 83 SE, Rotel 1520 CD and Krell KID.

stl114_nj

Showing 1 response by kiwi_1282001

I'm a bit confused but perhaps what Audiozen is trying to say re voltage "fluctuations" is that in an unregulated power supply the voltage must drop significantly in order for the transformer to produce current. Load the amplifier further and the voltage will drop further and the transformer will deliver more current than its rated value, potentially overheating it?

Al has it right though. Power dissipation, however that happens, is the producer of heat. The Magtech runs cool because its transistors have an extremely linear transconductance function and therefore do not require much bias to eliminate crossover distortion. Most of the heat produced in a Class AB amp is produced by the bias current. The sole purpose of the bias current is to eliminate distortion. Through the use of linear “Thermal Trak” transistors very little bias current is needed to eliminate distortion and the amplifier as a result runs cool.