Speakers to hang on to for LIFE

After 9 years with my Proac Response 3s, I recently decided to change speakers. As you can tell, I'm not an upgrade fever patient. I want something I can live with for years & I think the best advice I'm gonna get will be from those who have & are still living with their speakers for an extended period of time. Please tell me why too. Thanks.Bob.
ryllau
I have Apogee Centaur Major for the last 14 years. I would admit that after I listen Schntillas I fallen in love with Apogees, but at the time could not afford them, including very demanding amplifiers, so I settled for my speakers. I would not change them unless I can get Scintillas, which is doubtfull. But in my system, Stereo/HT set up there are the best in my opinion.
I have had Altec-19,s since 1976. There are better sounding speakers made,but these have always been a pleasure to listen to.
Nrenter 3/8/03, hits it right on. I do plan on purchasing more speakers in my audio quest but I will do not plan on giving up my N805's. Either loved or not I cannot believe the performance of these small units. I believe they are one of the most versitile speakers around in almost any room. I do believe if you spend some time on placement and stands they will more often give you what you want with little comprimise. Yes, they won't rock your house down at 120db, but I'm really happy at 95 with good solid bass, not perfect bass but impressive nontheless. I will keep my Cherry 805's.
I have owned two pair of speakers in my life. The first pair were MacIntosh ML1's bought in 1973. I used the Macs until I bought a pair of B&W 801 Matrix II about 10 years ago. I just keep thinking I am going to upgrade my speakers, but I find better components instead. When I settle into the new component, I seem to rediscover the magic of my speakers again. This process seems to happen over and over again. So I guess you can say I have built a system around my speakers which I can't seem to upgrade.