Speakers Needed: Audiophile Taste - Low Budget

I am looking to upgrade my current HT system's speakers (fronts & center). I have the taste for high-end speakers however, I have 3 children & a new home. In other words I can not afford much, $500-$1000. I am looking for bookshelf speakers for mains & a center channel. I would like to get the best possible sound I can, (clearity & accurate tones - easy to drive). My receiver is a Sony STR-BD930. I have a good sub & rears. I prefer to purchase used so I can get the best speakers for my money.
Can some steer me in the right direction? Any comments are encouraged.
pfchico6868
I love my pair of Vandersteen 1Cs, supplemented by an ACI Titan II LE subwoofer, for music and the occaisional movie. If you have the room, a pair of Vandersteen 2Ces (used) will produce a taller soundstage.
Audiophile35, Marakanetz, Sek -- What amplification are you using with your Vandersteen 1b or 1c speakers? Are these speakers demanding to drive, requiring high-power amplification, or can they be used successfully with 40 w/ch amplifiers? What CD players are you using with them? Are they particularly sensitive to the brand or model of CD players used, or do they sound reasonably good with most? Any other comments you would offer on these?
Sound City is selling the NHT 1.5 for $299 (half price), an excellent deal on an excellent speaker.
If you can find them, some used Energy RVS-2 for the front pair and the matching RVS-1 center speaker do a fine job with music and movie soundtracks. Will probably work ok with the Sony. You might consider Sony's ES line of recievers. They have discrete amplification as opposed to a single chip that drives all five channels. Will definitly improve the sound of your system. Good luck and have some fun in your quest for beter sound.
Their neutrality will reveal the weakness in your reciever.

Tremendous two way stand mount speaker!!!