Speakers for Hegel H95 that could use its full potential.

Hello Guys,

I’m in a search for a new set of speakers that could give me the full potential from my system.

My current system consists of Hegel H95 and mostly plays the music via Airplay to Bluesound Node 2i and Coax out (Viard Audio Premium HD) to the Hegel H95 and NHT Classic 2.

Currently I’m deciding between 3 speakers :
1) Sonus faber Lumina I
2) Sonus faber Sonetto I
3) Kef LS50 meta

Due to the pandemic, the audition before purchase is out of the question now. I’m not sure whether my H95 with 60Watts into 8ohm would be able to appropriately drive the Sonetto I and shows it full potential or should I go with a smaller speaker with Lumina I instead.

I really want to pick the Sonetto I because from what I read the reviews, this could match with my taste as a more relaxed, warm and laid back sound. Most of the time the volume set at about 30-40 out of 99 in Hegel, never more than 50.

What would be your choice, does anyone have experience with any of the mentioned models?

Many Thanks,

jakk

Also post the question to other forums and Hegel facebook group, 2-3 people talked about Dynaudio Evoke 20 already. Might have to look about this one also.

I ran the H95 with Sonetto III’s and loved it. Zero problem driving levels you mention. The LS50’s get generally great reviews - I’ve never heard them. I tried some Kef R7’s with the H95 and liked them a lot, but in the end preferred the Sonettos - just a bit less (the R7’s were well short of fatiguing) on the top end, pleasingly so. 

You might try running the Node 2i direct via wifi, or via Ethernet instead of via Airplay - some say there’s an improvement with either. You’re right IMO to use the Hegel DAC over the Bluesound DAC at any rate. Good luck!

Wow thanks a lots for the info.

Sonetto I is now on top of the list, already crossed the KEF out and add Amphion Argon 3s instead.

@coys21 BTW what do you mean by “try running the Node 2i direct via wifi, or via Ethernet instead of via Airplay” ?

@jakk Others may be more versed here than I, but my understanding is the optimal way to use the Node 2i would be to have both your phone and the Node connected to your wifi network, as opposed to using your phone to instruct the Node via Airplay.  As long as you’re not streaming direct from your phone to the Hegel via Airplay, the difference may be subtle (maybe depending on streaming service, too). 

Re: Ethernet vs. wifi, i don’t know that there’s a consensus, but general thinking seems to be that connecting the Node directly to your modem/router via Ethernet will give better quality than connecting the Node via wifi. This is especially true if your wifi is not strong, but differences may otherwise again be subtle. More info. here:

Harbeth should be another speaker you should add to your list!!

FWIW, Harbeth designer Alan Shaw has a high regard for Hegel. H360 and H390 are among the amps he uses in his lab, and he has used Hegel to demo Harbeth at audio shows.