Speakers for First Watt SIT-1 amp

My favorite sound seems to come from an SET amp and single-driver speakers but I want to leave the amp on all the time and I have kids in the house so I decided to exclude output tubes.  I went on a hunt for a solid state amp with an SET sound and landed on the First Watt SIT-1 monoblocks which I love.  I'm using them with Omega Super Alnico High Output monitors and it's a great combo but I wonder how much better speakers like this can get with this amp.  I have my eye on Voxativ, Teresonic, Audience, and maybe Audio Note or Daedalus.  Any suggestions?
ggking7

Showing 1 response by cal3713

Regarding the SIT amps and high impedance loads.  I tried out a SIT2 with my Coincident Super Eclipse III speakers (14 ohm nominal, 10 ohm minimum) and Nelson Pass had me buy a couple different resistors to add across the speaker terminals in order to increase the load.  He said that the SIT2 would sound a little dry and clinical when coasting on those easier loads and would warm up if I added some additional resistance.  Apparently using different resistor values was equivalent to using the manual adjustment knob on the SIT1s.  I just bring this up because I think Nelson made the amps with a nominal 8 ohm load in mind (or at least something below the SEIII's 14).  

If I were you, I'd consider e-mailing or calling Pass for a few speaker suggestions. Probably no-one knows as well what speaker will excel on your amps, and both Nelson and Kent English at Pass are always super nice and happy to provide input.  Personally, I think it would be a disservice to your search not to find out what they suggest.