Speakers for a 12 x 13 room

So I recently moved to a new room. Sure it's small at 12 x 13 but now I can dedicate it to audio complete with as many room treatments and posters of Otis Redding as my heart desires.

For speakers I am looking at monitors like the Devore 3XL, Audio Note J, and Harbeth Compact 7's. I selected these speakers on sonics (I've heard all but the Harbeth's) but mainly because the specs indicate that the speakers when placed out in the room don't go much below 40Hz.

I HATE boomy out of control bass and with a room as small as mine I feel that bass boom could be a problem. Is there a cut of frequency wise I should be looking for in speakers to avoid bloated bass?

I anticipate a number of nodes especially around 60Hz given my room dimensions so my thought was to have speakers that don't go to much lower than 40hz (-6db). Does that make any sense?

Thanks for the advice!
Vik
vikkysingh
@Nrenter- You and I have both done this before haven't we? :) Thanks for the tips.

If I could return the favor, you should really add some more bass traps in the room specifically at the ceiling to wall junctures. It will really help you with standing waves under 60Hz in your room. Have you used any ETF software to see what your system's low end frequency response really is? Ponying up for such software (available for Macs and PCs) was one of the wisest investments I have made in my system. Without said software you're just guessing at treating a room. The radio shack meter and test discs are toys. They can't be trusted to give fine enough gradations to make any determinations other than gross guesses.

I am going to look into your subs as well. I would prefer a DIY sealed box enclosure. A pair, as you indicate, is a must. But an equal must is a parametric EQ. You have to get one for your room. It makes even average subs outperform the priciest. It really is the only way to smooth out the bass response in a small room like ours (for one seating position at least). Thanks for your thoughts.
Vik

PS- I'm hearing such great things about Ayre products. I'll have to ask my dealer about it. I've been sold on Audio Note, Shindo and Leben these last few months. He's had Ayre just sitting there this whole time and I haven't even asked him about it (save for their new DAC which he raves about).
I haven't added treatments up-high primarily for aesthetic reasons. However, I have no doubt they would have a positive impact. While my room sounds good in the seated (listening) position, it's unbearable in the standing position (where your ear is just above the treatments). Since I (literally) only listen in one position, I haven't made an effort to do any more.

While I haven't updated my system description to indicate my approach, I'm using my subs as a converse parametric eq (not sure if that accurately describes it, though). I'm using one sub to create destructive interference at the room's resonance frequency (around 50 Hz), and then using the second sub to fill in the lower end (under 40 Hz). I use 1-Hz incremental test tones and set by ear. I'd be interested to see if ETF package would confirm my settings.

I bought the ML subs out of impatience and cheapness. I really wanted small REL subs, but didn't want to wait for them (or pay for them).

I love my Ayre gear, particularly with my GMA speakers. If you're willing to take a risk, you may want to consider the GMA Rio speakers (and if you really want to take a risk, the GMA Eos HD). The Ayre DAC is on my want list (after the Ayre L-5xe power conditioner).
So I've narrowed down my choices to smaller speakers like the Harbeth p3, Audio Note K and Devore 3XL. I'll have to talk to my dealer about the 3XL's though as even they may be a bit too much for the room.

I'm really such a fan of the Shindo Montille that any speaker I chose has to work well with it. The Montille was an eye opening experience. My wife just started to laugh out loud when I she heard the SuperNait and Leben.
Jaton Lyra HD-661DX could fit into your room very well.
60Hz 6" woofer drivers and 25 KHz Silk Tweeter combination.
with a very nice looking body.
We can arrange a demo unit you.
If you can audition the Neat Motive 2, they should work well in a room that size. Very nice sound from a small floorstander.