Speaker wire, help my laid back sound??

Currently running the following:
Sony XA777ES SACD through
Harmonic Tech Truth link to:
Sim Audio P3
Harmonic Tech Pro Silaway II/balanced to:
Sim Audio W5
via Goertz MI2 Veracity Bi-Wired, 27 feet to
Paradigm Reference 100's (these speakers will be changed in a year or two)
I just bought a 30 run run of HT Pro Silaway/balanced and will now need speaker wire, my system is way to laid back, any suggestions, I was thinking AZ Satori shotgun or HT Pro Plus 9 bi-wire, but looking for some advice?? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thanks
128x128stevekcc
Gosh, looking at your equipment list I'm thinking that your sound shouldn't be so laid back. Musical yes, but not lifeless.

In what way is your system too laid back? Small, distant soundstage? Lack of punch, dynamics? Rolled off top end or bass? Recessed midrange, i.e. vocals, solo instrumentals? Does it lack PRaT?

Could it be that your room is on the "dead" side? Maybe you need MORE reflective surfaces? Or are the long runs of cable restricting your signal through put?

What's the tonal balance of your system and are there areas you'd like to improve?
I think Gunbei's on point. If your looking for something other than a very subtle change, cabling should not be your first choice - get an equalizer or get rid of the component causing your problem. :-) Changes in cabling can effect tonal issues, such as bright or rolled off, but optimally it should be used just allow your componets to be heard at their best - it will rarely change a system's basic presentation, such as forward or recessed.

FWIW sources, preamps, amps and speakers, individually or collectively can produce an "up front" or very "laid back" presentation" and if changing the presentation is your goal your should consider an equipment change. Less frustrating and cheaper in the long run.
Hello, thanks for all you responses so far. To answers some of Gunbei questions: By "laid back" I'm referring specifically to a lack of punch, dynamics and a slightly recessed mid-range. I'm not sure if I need more reflective surfaces, the entire wall behind my speakers is glass. I've always felt the culprit was the long run of speaker wires and going with a long run of balanced interconnects and improving my speaker wire would fix a lot of this problem. Here's another question: I'm looking at spending another $2000 for good speaker wire and a stand that will accomodate my TV and amp and meet with the approval of my wife. Am I better off sticking with the long run of Goertz and spending the money elsewhere??
Hey Steve,

I don't have any experience with the Goertz MI2, but have read good things about it. Unless you go to a drastically different type of cable such as one composed of silver I think Newbee is right and you may not get the big, positive change you're hoping for by changing to a more expensive speaker cable.

In my experience gear such as speakers, preamps and amps have made the kind of changes you're hoping for. I just finished comparing five preamps, and it was amazing how different they sounded both in character and dynamics. One tube preamp sounded small and distant, while another tube amp sounded big, bold and in-your-face.

That being said, I still suspect the long runs of speaker cable might be part of the problem.

How big is your room? I'd think the Simaudio W5 would be able to power the Reference 100s quite well, unless the room was gigantic.
Hi Gunbei
My room is 18'long X 15.5' wide X 9'high, my speakers are on the long axis. Keep in mind also the room is completely open on the wide axis at one end. Thanks for all your advice thus far.