Speaker wire... Diy?

I am new to this, so please bare with me. I always thought 12 gauge speaker wire, bare on each end, was best. But there is Kimber, Nord, etc, that seem to be incrementally better! Can I buy the components and put together my own $17000 speaker wires? If so, where can they be purchased, and which are good enough to be used? Which terminations are best for sound? Which wire? Length? Guage? 
ddjr
I'm interested in getting music to sound as good as possible.
Go to a live acoustic concert. HiFi is a 1% solution.
  • Help appreciated. I’m currently using 21 year old Tara labs cables. These were purchased in 1998 for Magnepan 2.7 qrs. I’m now running .7 Maggie’s. Same power amp ADCOM 5500 and ADCOM pre. I’m interested to know if transparent cables will make any difference? I love the clarity of the Tara labs and really don’t want to spend $$ if not necessary. I’ve been so happy with my power amp and have not found anything I like better with the Maggie’s - although I’m sure there are some out there as well. It’s been a sweet match for a long time. I guess the real question is - if I replace the cables should I also expect to replace the amps to see any improvement? The sound is quite beautiful now - should I leave well enough alone?  The old slippery slope when I start replacing components. 😂

• Help appreciated. I’m currently using 21 year old Tara labs cables. These were purchased in 1998 for Magnepan 2.7 qrs. I’m now running .7 Maggie’s. Same power amp ADCOM 5500 and ADCOM pre. I’m interested to know if transparent cables will make any difference? I love the clarity of the Tara labs and really don’t want to spend $$ if not necessary. I’ve been so happy with my power amp and have not found anything I like better with the Maggie’s - although I’m sure there are some out there as well. It’s been a sweet match for a long time. I guess the real question is - if I replace the cables should I also expect to replace the amps to see any improvement? The sound is quite beautiful now - should I leave well enough alone?  The old slippery slope when I start replacing components. 😂