Speaker wants 100 watt RMS. Is 40 watt tube OK?

I’m considering changing form parasound a21 to Manley Mahi monoblocks (40 watt tube) to go with my Monitor Audio gold 300s.

the speakers (90 dB sensitivity) say they want minimum 100 wpc.  

What kind of problems (any?) will I run into?
otherones

Showing 5 responses by orpheus10

Now it's my time to crow; everything is just like I said, "Tube watts are louder than SS watts, plus they sound better"

Also, the room is the dominant factor; unless you got a huge room, you don't need all them watts.

When I'm right, I let everybody know it; but most importantly, we have another contented audiophile.

BTW, they definitely do not sound the same; the tube mono-blocks sound much better.

I had a 150 watt SS amp in my listening room, and now I have 70 watt mono-blocks; when it comes to volume, there is no difference.

Many people have said the same thing; I earned a living as an electronics technician, so please believe me, I know all the formulas.

I have PrimaLuna mono-blocks that put out 70 watts per side, and 92 DB speakers in a moderate room, and I'm quite satisfied.

They can play much louder than I want them to. I like jazz, as opposed to rock, if that makes a difference.

No matter what anyone says, 40 watt tube approximates 100 watt SS. The size of the room is the dominant factor in this equation.