Speaker Spikes - Working Principle

Vibration damping obvious makes sense (in speakers just as well as in cars). 

That involves 'killing' (converting into heat, through typically internal friction) kinetic energy. So any sort of elastic material (rubber has lots of internal friction) makes sense. 

And then there are spikes. Using a pointy hard object and pair it with a softer, elastic material (to deform, and kill kinetic energy) can work; think metal sharp spike into carpet or wood floor. 

But what is the idea behind pairing fairly unelastic metal (brass for example) with similarly unelastic (brass, stone, etc) material (example photo provided)? Only thing I can come up with: LOOKS good and makes owner feel good  thinking its an improvement (works only for Audiophiles though),

Even more curious: are they ENGINEERED "spikes" (vibration dampers or shock absorbers) for speakers that are TUNED for the frequency (and mass)  that needs to be dampened? Can piston style fluid dampers be designed for the high frequencies (100, 1000, 10000 Hz) using geometry, nozzles size and viscosity of the fluid?

kraftwerkturbo

FWIW, in one if Paul McGowen’s YouTube videos there was a question related to this and he said, spikes (in whatever speaker) produce a more audiophile type bass that many people like, but he likes the more natural bass from eg isoacoustics (or some cheaper similar product). 

@hchilcoat  He described what he does and his tastes.  His speakers are being sold to "audiophiles" who want that kind of sound so of course.

I had much success with my muti varied materials sandwich...

But much more with at the same time a tuned damped double springs set differently compressed by a damping weight above and under the speakers box...

It is not practical in a living room...

but we learn a lot by experimenting ... Spike cannot replace this complex resonance control devices....

An image sometimes communicate more than words :