Speaker Recommendations for my Vintage Marantz 2270 and Miracord 50H MK II

I just purchased a Marantz 2270 that was refurbished.  Wondering what speakers you think might go well with the system.  40 years ago I had this turntable matched with a Pioneer SX838 and Avid 103 speakers.  Looking for a full range floor standing speaker with a small footprint say approx. 12-13" wide.  Price range under $2,000.  Thanks for your comments. Bob
rkbcpa55

Showing 2 responses by rkbcpa55

The 2270 was refurbished with all new caps etc. just recently. I contacted the shop who did the work and am going to have them change out the speaker posts to spades. $100.  At the price point I paid for this I would have had to pay 3-5 times it cost plus many don't have Phono pre built in.  It is a 100% analog rig. As for the jbl 100 I too looked at them 40 years ago and opted for a set of Avid 103. In my option they blew them away for a fraction of the price. I can honestly say this receiver blew away the 8'year old integrated I previously was using.  Love the look of it too. Looks brand new. Not a scratch. I too believe I don't really have to spend $2,000 but was using that as a limit. But thanks for the input. 

Paraneer,

Doesn't have to be a vintage speaker.  I agree with your assessment in looking at 8ohm with high sensitivity.  Ran my old 103's with a Pioneer SX-838 50wpc and while they could crank never blew a fuse.  Also, the room this system will be in is only 12x15 so I don't need a huge speaker just one that will sound good with rock as well as jazz.