Speaker Cables? why all the hype for expensive speaker wire?

After listening to many speaker cables, I am listening to basic 14 Gauge, high purity copper speaker wire and find myself shaking my head.  Does this basic speaker wire sound better than cables many times the price?  I am really starting to ponder that question.  I think I am hearing things on my records I never heard before and better balance of sound.  What are your thoughts?
tzh21y

Showing 1 response by scratchback2001

Someone hit the nail right on the head a few answers in. If noise is gonna enter any system, it will be on the input side of your system. As a club DJ Audio Video engineer of some 40 years now, I often laugh at the specs quoted by companies. I use high quality RCA cables to connect components to my amplifier which is a Primaluna Dialogue HP Integrated Valve driven amplifier. For the Phone stage I use a Cambridge MM pre-amplifier and my turntable is a brand new Technics SL1200 MK2 fitted with an Ortofon cartridge. To put things in perspective, I turn everything on and with everything at idle, I turn up the amplifier flat out. All I hear is a tiny bit of hiss. Naturally I'm hardly gonna play some vinyl at that level. I can't get much past the 10.o.clock position before it becomes painfully loud. I use 4 gauge high quality speaker cable on all the systems I own and any noise that occurs is never on the output side. If you wanna spend 30 K on speaker cable, it's your wallet, not mine. My CD player is a Pioneer CDJ and sounds wonderful using  its on board DAC. Just remember that the shorter any cable you use the better. Cheers.