Speaker Cables? why all the hype for expensive speaker wire?

After listening to many speaker cables, I am listening to basic 14 Gauge, high purity copper speaker wire and find myself shaking my head.  Does this basic speaker wire sound better than cables many times the price?  I am really starting to ponder that question.  I think I am hearing things on my records I never heard before and better balance of sound.  What are your thoughts?
tzh21y

Showing 2 responses by cd318

@tzh21y 

"maybe i should have been using 14 gauge basic wire from the get go. lol"

Why not push the boat out and get some high purity ofc cable?

It might not sound any better than a pair of twisted coat hangers (why should it?) but it might bring you some peace of mind.
@mahlman,

"If you could toss a vibrant word salad with the same ingredients and taste qualities as the plebian described one, and you could convince people to spend 100 times more for the privilege of digesting your words, why not. There are tons of products and people who buy on hype but would run like scared chickens if a true blind test was available. It is a sort of religious cult where the secret keys to the audio kingdom are possessed by oracular golden ear pontiffs who disdain the idea of blind tests because mere science and physics can't hear what the "educated golden ear" can. Solipsism."

Well put. You sure rustled a few financially invested feathers.

With so many words used to describe the effects and differences between cables why is it that the newcomer is unlikely to ever read that a $1000 cable remains sonically indistinguishable from a pair of twisted coat hangers connecting amp to speakers?  

Why is it also that despite the enormous price differences between various cables that no cable has EVER been claimed to offer ANY sonic superiority?

Suggestion and inference can and do go a long way.

Something worth thinking about before investing in anything more costly than decent gauge copper cable.

Money doesn't grow on trees.

You need banks to print and loan it to governments at eye watering interest rates first.