SP10mk2: OMA Graphite plinth vs.Dobbins plinth

According to the price lists they are in one category, but anyone could comment on quality/performance? At the moment i use big Teak Wood plinth (just $750) custom made in Taiwan for my SP10mk2. Looking for upgrade in the future. I use my sp10mk2 with Reed "12 tonearm now. Doest the plinth actually makes a big difference in sound? My stand is well damped with glass, metal and sarbothane in between.

1) Oswald Mill Audio graphite slate plinth (single layer) $2750, double layer looks fantastic but cost $3500

2) Steve Dobbins famous custom plinth cost $2650 including three Stillpoints feet and automotive show quality paint in black or white. Design has changed many times, still hard to find any current plinth picture online.

I know there are Albert Porter's and Artisan Fidelity quality plinth available, but i don't like the design (i mean just how it looks) for SP10.
128x128chakster

Showing 2 responses by td160

Link below to a recent project with my sp10 mkII.
http://www.theanalogdept.com/user510_sp10_mkii.htm

I had already tried a high mass approach with stacked layers of baltic birch multi-ply. Then the idea occurred to me that 'what if' one tried a lighter but rigid platform. Wouldn't spurious energy transfer into and around the lighter plinth somewhat quicker than with the previous massive plinth. That was part of the plan.

Also in use is a Minus-K BM1-150. I already had this one prior to the SP10 mkII project. I had ordered the heavy Minus-k model to accommodate some massive slate that was under a TD124.

-Steve
"09-20-15: Chakster
Steve, what about version for "12 inch tonearms? "

For 11" and 12" tonearms, I would need to draw new plans to incorporate longer tonearms into this plan. As it is, I drew my plan specifically for the tonearm I had planned to use in my instance, a Graham 2.2. And with no thought to producing any more.

I can say, after using this plinth for more than a year, I am happy with the end result. compared to a massive Baltic Birch constrained layer plinth, this 'light-rigid' plinth does indeed have a quicker sense of pace about it. Transients happen with a quickness not heard from the more massive base I had tried just previous. Plus, I have excellent bass performance in this setup that I would not have thought previously possible out of that tonearm and the two cartridges I've used on it. Very articulate and detailed...with great pace and slamminess. Better than I thought it would be.

The Mule Plinth