Sovtek 6550 - Can they really be THIS bad???

Hello.

Just picked up a new Jadis today, and I'm none too pleased with the sound. As I have had blissful sonic experiences with two of the models lower on the Totem Pole from this manufacturer, the only thing I can trace it to is the Sovtek 6550. Can they really be THIS bad???

I already switched out the JAN Philips 12AX7 and Golden Dragon 12AU7 for Mullard Blackburn and Ei respectively. The improvement has been subtle, but it still ain't working for me...

I have used ElectroHarmonix 6550 in the past, and while they didn't float my boat, I'm told that EH represents a signficant step up from the regular old Sovteks. JJ E34L and KT88 just have sounded really splendid to me. So, now I'm looking at picking up 8 new output tubes if I don't wish to live with such uninspired sound.
trelja

Showing 1 response by justlisten

someone mentioned you have the DA60??

if so, I encountered the same issue you had with this amp. I bought one about 2 years ago and was blown away with cosmetics, impressed with the build, ..I had high high hopes.

I had upgraded from the Jadis cheaper integrated......

i tried Ge6550s, el34s, kt88s, swapped out the small signal tubes but just could not get this amp to sound "tubey". ....Jadis had always been described as warm and tubey in regards to the Defy7,.....I concluded that the Da60 and the other integrated was just a darker sounding tube amp.....not my taste...I sold the Da60 and went to Air Tight amps and have not looked back