Soundsmith Straingauge SG-200 cartridge system

Hi everyone, haven't heard much discussion of this one in a while. I'm just starting to run a direct rim drive Trans Fi Salvation tt sporting a Trans Fi Terminator air bearing linear tracking arm. It's a total game changer imho, but I fear the Zu modded Denon 103 cart on it, excellent as it is, may have performance bettered by something more SOTA. I'm looking for something to match the tt/arm's neutrality, solidity and eveness, and am drawn to the Straingauge. Reviews praise it's speed and naturalness, but some comments are more guarded commenting on tonal thinness, edginess and overanalytic quality.
If it helps I hate over sharp carts like Lyra Skala, are more comfortable with neutral carts like the Transfiguration Orpheus, and feel the humble Zu 103 is a giant killer in the rhythmn/timing/involvment stakes.
So comments please from those who have experience of the Straingauge, thank you.
spiritofmusic

Showing 6 responses by tobes

If you like your Zu 103, why not go the next step and get a Soundsmith OCL retip.
I've been using an SS retipped 103R in a Midas aluminium body for some time now and the jump in realism and transparency over the stock conical tip is amazing. The cartridge retains the involvement and superior pace and timing of the 103R.
While I'm sure the SG is excellent, every time i listen to my SS/103R it engages and thrills me and I wonder why I'd want to pay more. The musical bargain of our times IMO.
Spiritofmusic, to be honest I haven't played the Garrott for some time because the results I'm getting with the SS/103R have been so impressive.
If fact I haven't even heard the Garrott with the Cary phono - which is something I really should do.
I can say that with my previous Plinius M14 phono stage I preferred the 103R to the Garrott, in most ways, and over a wide selection of music. Both cartridges have a special quality of musical engagement and expression.
That said, I think the SS/103R is on a different level.
Spiritofmusic, my success rate is 100% - I've sent two 103R cartridges to Soundsmith for the ruby/OCL retip - the second is on its way back to me at the moment (so I have a spare).

I think Peter would have the 103 rebuild down to a fine art, since this would likely be his most requested retip(?).
I guess there is always some risk with 'surgery' on such a delicate piece of equipment. I can't recall reading of any failures in the forums, but I suppose it happens.

Worth the small risk IMO, but only you can make that call.

Don't let me talk you out of the SG either - everything I've read indicates its an amazing product. But if you like the stock 103, I think you'll be astonished at what the SS retip achieves.
Spiritofmusic, since the standard ruby/OCL retip allows superb tracking performance in my Phantom I can't see any reason for the extra compliance mod (for my setup). I track my 103R close to standard, at around 2.3-2.4g, because I think it sounds best there.

The Midas aluminium body makes the 103 fairly heavy (14.5g) and cartridge resonance in already at the low end in my Phantom. In an arm with a lower effective mass the (higher) compliance mod might be of benefit - but I couldn't say.

I don't think the potting of your Zu will effect its ability to be retipped as it has to be well clear of the cantilever assembly.

Value for money the SS retip would be very hard to beat - that is not to say its the best out there (obviously) - but I have zero inclination (for now) to seek out anything else.
There is an interesting and recurring theme here - the question of accuracy to the recording vs verisimilitude to live music.
In theory the first should get you closer to the second - but given the vagaries of the recording process that may not necessarily be the case.

One things for sure, Peter Ledermann is one of the standout players in the industry. He appears to me to be passionate about music and its reproduction and disinterested in the profiteering that is riot in the high end. Keep up the good work Peter!
Spirit, since you're located in the UK, retipping with ESC might be easier - no international shipping etc.
I don't have any personal experience with ESC, but audio friends here in Aust have used that option and are happy.

It will be interesting to read your thoughts on the SG when you get a chance to hear it - looks like a cheaper option than the Mastergroove (with whatever) too.

BTW, did you read the user review of the SG here on Audiogon?: [url]http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ranlg&1227193071[/url]