Soundsmith Straingauge SG-200 cartridge system

Hi everyone, haven't heard much discussion of this one in a while. I'm just starting to run a direct rim drive Trans Fi Salvation tt sporting a Trans Fi Terminator air bearing linear tracking arm. It's a total game changer imho, but I fear the Zu modded Denon 103 cart on it, excellent as it is, may have performance bettered by something more SOTA. I'm looking for something to match the tt/arm's neutrality, solidity and eveness, and am drawn to the Straingauge. Reviews praise it's speed and naturalness, but some comments are more guarded commenting on tonal thinness, edginess and overanalytic quality.
If it helps I hate over sharp carts like Lyra Skala, are more comfortable with neutral carts like the Transfiguration Orpheus, and feel the humble Zu 103 is a giant killer in the rhythmn/timing/involvment stakes.
So comments please from those who have experience of the Straingauge, thank you.
spiritofmusic

Showing 24 responses by spiritofmusic

Br3098, Tobes and Stringreen, thanks for your responses. Tobes, I see that you're running a Garrott P77 alongside your Soundsmith retipped 103. The Garrott is the very cart my tt designer is recommending I get to replace the Zu 103, run thru a Ray Samuels Nighthawk F117 phono stage. Any comments?
Hi James, your input invaluable. I have to say I love the Zu modded Denon 103 because it is neutral but has great warmth as well. I'm just unsure it is giving me as good tonality and dimensionality as some thing a little more exotic.
My main concern with the Straingauge is that it's attributes are already demonstrated by the tt/arm combo I have, and this in total may be "too much of a good thing". I know a lot of audiophiles with very neutral tt/arm sounds often choose a slightly sweeter cart to even the sound out. But in the case of my Salvation tt/Terminator arm, the sound although neutral and incisive is very warm in the best sense (ie accurate as well) and a fast neutral cart may synergise v. well.
Can you specify the rest of your equipment?
Vintage carts? I'm not sure. But I'll keep things in mind, thanks for the suggestion. Very tempted by neutral, dynamic sound that Straingauge promises which should augment my neutral, dynamic tt/arm combo I'm so impressed with at the monent.
Can one have 'too much' neutrality ie is it better to 'sugar the pill' with a more romantic cart?
Eg I know a fair few Grand Prix Monaco dd tt owners have offset the neutrality of the deck with the sweeter sounding Triplanar tonearm.
Gentleman, I'm considering many options, and assure everyone I will NOT buy without audition first. I'm just not psychologically tuned into buying vintage carts.
Re my Transfiguration Orpheus, I've always loved this cart but have subsequently switched to the Zu 103 at 25% of it's price and don't miss it.
I'm just intrigued with the concept of a very neutral cart on a very neutral tt/arm.
Doug, I get the impression you don't think the Straingauge will be as 'fleshed out' as the Orpheus, and yet Arran states it isn't tonally thin in any way.
Dave, FWIW, Vic 'Mr. Trans Fi' has just moved from his long term reference, the Decca London Ref to a MM Garrott P77i which he runs thru a Ray Samuels Nighthawk F117 phono stage at a setting of 47kOhms. This is certainly getting me looking at the lower end of the price range. Vic believes the P77i beats the London Ref in all aspects esp. bass reproduction at 20% of the cost.
Similarly I've moved from the Transfiguration Orpheus to the Zu 103 at 25% the cost.
Where is the online information for these NOS carts? I'd love to discover more.
Tobes, I'm more and more going to give consideration to the Soundsmith OCL ruby cantilever upgrade to my existing Zu 103. The only thing that is concerning me is that there is a VERY large caveat on their website that a fair number of carts don't survive the transformation. This doesn't exactly fill me with confidence, and at present don't have a spare.
Tobes, just a few qs. Do you choose the ultra damped compliance option? I believe this reduces the VTF needed from 2.5g to 1.7g. How would this affect performance? Have you considered going for the Silver or Gold 103 ultimate upgrades (I believe these may be the ones prone to poss damage). My Zu 103 is potted in their aluminium case, does this still make a good candidate for the retipping/ocl operation?
This certainly is an interesting way to go, if only for the $ value point of view.
Thanks so much for your continued help, Marc.
Hi Dan, while the Zu 103 doesn't have some of the transparency/delicacy of the Orpheus, it more than makes up for in dynamics/bass heft/timing.
I've also had a couple of Transfigs from a few years ago with limited life before stylus wear became apparent, whereas the Zu 103 is well over 1000 hrs and sounds pretty fresh. Not sure v. pricey MC is the way fwd for me any more.
The SG 200 is expensive, but with no phono stage to factor in, I can sell mine and part fund the start up cost. Replacement styli v. reasonable.
However the Soundsmith modified Zu 103 looks really interesting.
Will need a new phono allowing MM 100kOhm if I'm going down the NOS route.
Well, I'm getting close to an interesting final cartridge choice. Just about to receive upgraded Zu Denon 103 and Transfiguration Orpheus carts with stylus/cantilever changes. Aiming to do a 3 way shootout with the Straingauge.
If the MCs win out will most probably upgrade my phono to the Tom Evans Mastergroove. If the Straingauge wins the day, this very particular avenue of analogue reproduction will be where it's at for me.
Going into this with no preconceptions of the outcome.
Raul, you are correct, I may be ambiguous in my description of neutral/natural warmth. There are so many factors at play in setting the final sound of a system (power/vibration control/speed stability in a tt etc) that often component/accessory changes amount to the listener trying to alter tonal balance within a system.
So in my case, previously changing to BAT electronics led to excessive warmth, Krell to excessive sterility, the Hovland pre/pow led to an acceptable balance of what I call 'natural warmth'.
Similarly I struggle with SME/Clearaudio tts/Lyra Skala cart (too clinical), and Linn Sondek LP12/my previous Michell Orbe tt/SME V (too warm) and now my new tt/arm has an even tonal balance for me. The Salvation/Terminator are maybe the most uncoloured components I have in my system, and since it's getting harder to hear range of carts, I'm using people's comments to get to a shortlist of 3-5 carts that might work.
So far it is the Zu 103/Soundsmith OC/CL upgrades, revisiting my Transfig Orpheus, NOS MMs Astatic/Acutex etc (completely news to me as choices), Decca London Ref, Garrott P77i and Straingauge.
Btw, what are the phono stages of choice with all of you out there, esp. those promoting the 47k/100k options for NOS MM?
I have been recommended a NOS MM 'super' cart, the MF2500, any thoughts on this?
Regards to all.
Doug, sorry to combine your comments with Arran's to draw a false conclusion. However you do say that the Straingauge will be a v.different listening experience to the Orpheus. Can you elaborate further?
Doug, re-reading your comments I get the impression that you feel the Straingauge is a thinner, 'whiter' sounding cart than the range of MCs you listed. Do you have any experience of the Decca London Reference which is an MC but loads like a MM at 47kOhms? This is the cart of choice of the tt/arm designer of my rig.
Additionally, I'm going to dig out my old Orpheus and reassess it.
Will be fascinated to hear this supposed harmonic deficit when I audition the Straingauge. Would love to hear from others with experience.
I certainly know what I like in a cart's sound - hate cheaper Lyras, eg Skala, but love the Parnassus. Much admire the Orpheus, but Zu 103 an interesting alternative.
Will be having my Zu Denon 103 and Transfiguration Orpheus carts upgraded with Paratrace stylii and White Sapphire cantilevers by Expert Stylus Company in UK.
I will then a-b these with my current phono stage and possible upgrade against the Straingauge.
On basis of this will decide whether to plump for the more radical choice of going down the Straingauge route.
Would still like to hear those familiar with Peter's cart comment further.
Btw Peter TOTALLY refutes there is any 'harmonic curtailment' in the presentation of the Straingauge. Demo will prove this one way or the other I suppose. I have to say stripping analogue of euphonic warmth by going from belt drive to rim drive has heightened my appreciation of analogue, and I have a suspicion the Straingauge may extend this further.
Well, the Straingauge DEFINITELY deserves an audition if it can create this level of argument amongst audiophiles. Very much hoping it provides a 'cat amongst the pigeons' moment.
My new tt/arm is proving to be such a neutral, detailed, dynamic performer that I very much hope this cart is a match for it. Just about to send my Zu 103 and Transfiguration Orpheus carts for retipping/upgraded cantilevers, and am itching to do a 3 way audition with the Straingauge in the Autumn. I'll keep you all posted.
Tobes, I'm going to follow your advice and retip stylus to Paratrace profile and upgrade cantilever to White Sapphire for my two Zu103s and an old Transfiguration Orpheus (my ref prior to the Zu). However I'm going to get it done at the much respected Expert Stylus Company in the UK. They carry out a lot of retipping for styli thruout the industry, and I have great confidence in them.
I'll then bed these in my system and carry out a comparison versus the Straingauge.
My final choice to complete my superbly performing front end will then be between these three carts, and if I choose the Zu or Transfiguration, to feed the output thru a new Tom Evans Audio Design Mastergroove phono stage.
Hi Tobes, getting cart/phono choice right is rife with stress! Actually with cost effective upgrades to current carts via ESC this is one v. straightforward option.
I just feel with my v. neutral, fast, detailed and dynamic tt/arm, the Straingauge may be just the ticket since proponents certainly seem to say it demonstrates these attributes itself.
If it doesn't work out, the Zu/Transfig/Mastergroove provide options I'm sure I'll be pretty happy with.
Phil, what a fantastic post. Just when I think I know enough about an item, an afficionado such as yourself fills in the remaining 90% of the story.
For the record, I've got two Zu 103s and a Transfiguration Orpheus. The Zu I'm running is not going for upgrade, but the other, well worn, Zu and Orpheus are getting the treatment, so no loss - if I didn't get surgery performed on them they would remain gathering dust in my draw.
So I'm curious to perform a 3 way shootout and confirm whether surgery will destroy what is so special about the Zu 103, or whether I like it, and how they both match up to my previous reference, the Orpheus.
The point of this thread however is to gather opinions of the Straingauge. I've just linked up with an enthusiastic and knowledgeable dealer in the UK who really believes this cart is the best out there, outclassing the Ortofon A90, Lyra Titan, and his own Orpheus.
His opinion is that the cart is as lively as a Decca London Ref, without being 'hot', sympathetic to surface noise, and a real retriever of detail. As a big fan of the Deccas over the years, this comparison fills me with confidence that it may become my cart of choice.
Just received my retipped Transfiguration Orpheus and Zu modded Denon 103. Can't wait for the face off. Esp. in preparation for my audition of the Straingauge in the Spring.
I've found a really enthusiastic proponent of this cart in the UK, and he believes it is the best out there, far in advance of the Orpheus, Lyra Titan etc. Can't wait to find out.
Other Straingauge owners, please air your views.
5 hours straight with the modded Orpheus and I'm just not getting on with it. Too cool, bass heavy, and just not involving. And this is after careful adjustment of VTF/azimuth. Grr!
Seconds after the modded Zu 103 hits the groove, and wow! Total love. Tonality and transparency in spades, and an amazing synergy with my Zu Def4 spkrs. At this rate, my interest in the Straingauge may really become redundant.
Another 5 hours today, and that's it! I'm totally sold on the ESCO modded Zu 103. Re my ESCO modded Transfiguration Orpheus (the only way to breath life into my extinct, once-reference cart): other than maybe a draw on soundstage grounds, the modded Zu totally blows away it's more illustrious (and 4x pricier) rival.
I'm getting tonality in spades, even handed dynamics, delicacy AND slam, superlative tracking and rejection of surface noise. What I'm finding fascinating is that Zu really are the Kings Of Tone - their Definitions4 spkrs that I own were voiced with their modded 103, so the two most critical transducers in an analogue system (cart and spkrs) really seem to speak of one voice.
The ESCO mod (Paratrace stylus and white sapphire cantilever) is replacing what was a tendency to stridency in the higher frequencies with the stock Zu 103, with a sweetness that is truly beguiling. This is more than compensating for maybe a smidgeon less urgency in the sound, a most acceptable trade off.
So, 2 days' listening has got me back in the Zu 103 fold fully, and terminated my fledgling interest in the Straingauge. Now my journey is going to take me to investigating upgrading my Tom Evans Audio Design Groove Plus SRX phono stage with Tom's flagship Mastergroove.
Just resurrecting this thread. Will be auditioning the Soundsmith Straingauge SG-200 at the end of the month. At this point, I'm happy that my ESCCo modded Zu 103 is ahead of my previous fave, the Transfiguration Orpheus. Really curious to hear how the S'gauge will stack up against the Zu 103.
So, still scouting for opinions on the S'gauge, from those familiar with it.
981, you must have demoed the S'gauge. It sure seems to divide opinion. My dealer rates it better than various Transfigurations and Lyras, others remain to be convinced. Can you sum up your thoughts on it, how it rates to other carts you're familiar with, and what it's replacing in your rig?
Thoughts much appreciated.
981, wow, that is quite an analog rig you are swapping out. But to do so before you've even heard the new cart (either in your system, or demo elsewhere), that's quite brave. How do you know you're going to prefer it?