Sound quality of Roon

I am considering trying Roon.  I have been using my Bluesound Node but I am going to upgrade as I do enjoy streaming more and more using Tidal.  It is quite an investment to get a NUC or Nucleus and then have a separate tablet to control it all.

But apart from the cost I have read some people say Roon does not sound good.  Their streamer by blah blah sounds better.  Is this true?  For all that is required to use Roon, the hardware, the subscription and all, would Roon be popular if it made digital streaming sound bad?

I would love to hear people who have experience comment on this.  There is info on the Roon Labs discussion site but as you can imagine it is saying this is BS Roon sounds great.  I guess Roon as a software also has had updates, so maybe this is a thing that might have been true in the past?  

troidelover1499

I liked Roon. There are many advantages if you can afford it.

In my opinion 1. The Roon interface is great.  2. There are many options it offers if you want to take advantage of them. 3. Ease of operation. 4. Nice gui interface. 5. Nice Digital EQ if needed for slight room compensation or music quality adjustment.

That being said. Due to my budget I cancelled Roon and using the lesser advanced interface for the Innuos which was recently released. As far as sound. Roon is great! Also the bluesound node 2i with a better DAC (Bifrost) is very good. Good enough for me.

itsjustme servers do sound different

we have sold and tested most major servers and streamers 

we have over 10 years of experience with these devices, 

we startred with mac minis and jriver

then aurender these sounded better 

we then went  to innous  these sounded far better 

we tried an sotm windows based server before this

then we found the 432Evo servers from belgium 

the 432EVO sounded even better and had the added advantage of being a modular and upgradable design.

differences in sound quality included sound staging midrange warmth low level detailing 

Dave and Troy

Audio intellect NJ

US. importers 432EVO Music servers 

I tried to love Roon. The UI is unquestionably superior to native Tidal and Spotify, and better than Lightning DS and the laggard, Aurender Conductor. But the platform is terribly unstable. Sudden crashes plagued all 3 of my systems (2 different cores, a homemade Nuc and a MacBook Pro.) Never found an SQ difference that would recommend Roon either. 

When I first starting messing with Roon, I compared it to what I was using - JRiver hosted on my Win10 PC.  And the difference surprised me.  So I let my trial for Roon expire.  But bugs and tons of stupid DLNA issues with JRiver drove me batty.  It wouldn't find my Bridge every other time I tried to use it.  Songs would skip sections, others would cut off the final 30-60 seconds and start up another track after a 5-7 second delay.  But when it worked, JR sounded fantastic.  So I bit the bullet and purchased Roon Lifetime.  And after buying a new i10 NUC (not fanless but powered by a LPS), I went crazy on isolation to get rid of the garbage in the stream.  That eventually led me to a full LAN makeover from copper to fiber.  And I started putting in LPS's on the router, switches and fiber media converters (I run video streamers as well with awesome results).  Things sounded great after finally ridding the system of junk, so I just happily lived with it for many moons.  About a month ago, I decided to compare it to JRiver again (with it running on my Win10 PC).  I drug my feet with doing this because I knew I was going to like JR better and feel remorse for buying Roon.  Well it didn't happen that way at all.  They were virtually identical in sound now.  I say virtually because by the time I switched from one to the other, I was not able to discern any differences.  A stark contrast to how things were in the beginning.  So I am completely happy with Roon now :)  But everyone's journey is different and best you, or anyone can do is get a free trial and have a listen for yourself.  

@grannyring ​​@oldschool1948 , I think I am the ONLY person who has said they prefer Roon on an Innuos product to Sense, in terms of sound quality.  I have a fully updated Zenith Mk 3.  To me Sense sounds slightly too bloated or “filled-in” to me, with all of the space and air around vocals and instruments removed when compared with Roon.

Maybe I have a setup issue but I’ve tried messing with settings.