Sound Card Recommendations for the iMac

It looks like there is something wrong with the internal sound card in my iMac desktop. The music is now scratchy and mildly jumbled. Having eliminated every other possibility that I can think of - have others been required to replace the sound card and if so . . . .what did you get? Same stock part or upgrade?
puerto
Thanks for the follow-up....hope all stays well and let the tunes keep flowing. ;)
Do either of you know how to go "backwards" and restore an older version of iTunes? As I stated above the improvement with the newest version is good but maybe I'm getting to picky since I still think I'm hearing some issues.
Tomjoe - that is always a possibility but today I finally figured out the rest of the problem. I had left the iTunes Equalizer on - it is normally off. I was playing around with it a while back. Once I turned it off the music became instantly crystal clear. So I think the problem was twofold - some issues with iTunes 9.0 and the Equalizer. I'm listening now and it sounds great through the headset. It is my experience that listening through the headset is the quickest way to hear a problem.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions - they were valid ideas!