Sopra 2 Bass

New member, first post, and newbie in terms of diving into the world of nice things. This world is insane! I've already been spiraling for a few months researching what to buy, AB'ing countless speakers and amps. I now own a McIntosh MA9000 that's driving my new Focal Sopra N2s via Kimber 12VS. My "dilemma" is with the lack of BASS. I demoed the N2s, so I know it's possible, but absent in my home. I have to use the tone controls (this is where you tear me apart) to bump the low end. I do not know if it's my room, lack of bass traps, or equipment, but I'm failing to get down a little lower without tone adjustments. I stream Tidal Masters to my wired Bluesound NODE 2i (optical to the MA9000 dac). My room is 11'x20.5' with a low, 7.5' ceiling. I have tried as many speaker positions as possible with little change. I already know I need to eliminate room echo in the center of the room and have been researching various acoustic treatments. I feel like I'm off to a good start, but now stuck, not totally satisfied. Yes, it's the best I've ever owned and mind-blowing amazing, emotional, etc, but just short of perfect for me. In tracks where I expect a punch, I get an unmoving transition... Can I get "there" with different wire? Should I consider a sub? Why do folks on this site use two subs? Do I need to hire someone to properly sound-treat the room? Is my room a lost cause for what I own? Reaching out because I'm stuck, afraid to waste money chasing dead ends. My budget is thin after the McIntosh and Focals. Any help would be so appreciated! I hope to learn, grow and pay it forward some day. Thank you.
128x128izjjzi

Glad things are turning out well. I am considering a Rel 212sx or maybe (2) S812's. So, are you using both subs now? the Carbon and the 212sx? Have you tried the 212sx by itself ?  I was hoping a singular 212sx would do the trick?

thanks

mike

@mikepaul I returned the Carbon Special. I found that I could not "set it and forget it". I was constantly up to adjust it for certain tracks. It would draw attention to itself.  I'm sure it's my room and the need for more than one sub. For this reason I tried the 212, because it is claimed to provide 80%(?) of what an array can provide. I was able to set and forget the 212 within five minutes after connection and I haven't touched it since. The difference is night and day. I tell everyone that this was my best purchase to date. My other observation is that the Carbon Special was working really hard, even at low volumes. I had to be really careful with it. The 212 in contrast hasn't broken a sweat. It is effortless, musical and so darn fast. Again, my best purchase to date. What do I mean by this? I've learned what most here have learned, which is we may like or love our amps, speakers, etc, but 95%(?) of the time we know in the back of our head that we are not completely happy a given piece. We buy, we sell. The wheel turns. There is a zero percent chance I'm ever parting with the 212. 

izjjzi     Love the look of your setup and system components. I think you solidified my reasoning to get the Rel 212sx. I think it would do well in my room.

Best of luck in your journey!

mike