Sony STR-DA9000ES -- how good an amplifier?

It looks like the Sony STR-DA9000ES is available from a number of reputable sources for a bargain price ($2300 when it lists for $4500). Is Sony replacing this model?

Also, it's rated for 200wpc and apparently uses class-D digital amplification that I'm not familiar with. However there's a recent, very positive review in The Perfect Vision.

Here's the question: I don't currently have a surround system (it's in progress) but just bought a pair of B&W Nautilus 801's for the fronts. I'm curious: is there any hope of driving these speakers with this amp? My current amp (Nakamichi PA7, also 200wpc but a reasonably good current source) is pretty long in the tooth but actually does a decent job (the speakers aren't even broken in yet but sound wonderful). Is "digital amplification" just out of the question here? Since I don't have surrounds yet, does it make sense to use four channels of this 7 channel beast to biamp the 801s or is the power supply the limiting factor?

I guess the alternative is one of the multichannel Parasound/Adcom/B&K amps but I really like the feature set of the Sony STR-DA9000ES (DVI switching!) at this price. I just want to know if I'm way off base by considering it.
128x128invaderzim

Showing 1 response by fife

The 9000ES seems to be a pretty good receiver.

From my other post that I replied to regarding the Sony 7100ES receiver:

I have a few asian magazines showing multiple owner setups and reviews using a Sony 9000ES receiver. One magazine reports writes an article where they goe to an owner's house using the 9000ES receiver which powers a pair of B&W Signature 800 + Signature HTM + four 704 for surrounds in a Qualia setup (TV & PJ).

Even at this demo Sony HS-60 Projector demo, the Sony 7100ES powers 3 PMC IB2's and the room is huge! Those PMCs are power hungry just like N802s.
http://www.avbuzz.com/audio-video/200509/sony-sa/show/index.htm

I think these new high-end receivers CAN power some of the bigger monsters. However, you may not get the great quality 2 channel you are desiring.