Sony SCD-C333ES a good buy?

I have been considering moving into the wonderful world of SACD after finding out this player can be had for only about $600 (don't ask me where =). I've read some reader-reviews in the April issue of Stereophile, and it seems that it doesn't touch the 777... but at this price, it costs less than 1/3 the cheapest new 777 I've seen online. Even though it's not the best CDP out there, is it a great buy at around $600? Right now I have a Marantz CD-6000 OSE (un-modded). Thanks in advance!

Dan
grossdp
The SCD 333ES is even a better buy AFTER modifications are made by Richard Kern. When compared against the 333ES's big brothers (777ES & SCD-1) the 333ES is harsh, serves up a narrow soundstage, and demonstrates a lean low-end.
If you like the convenience of a changer, that offers sound quality equiv to the very best SACD/Redbook CD, this player is a bargain and best-buy, after Richard Kern tweeks it!

Jack
I hear the 333ES is being discontinued. You may find it at www.oade.com. In July, Sony is coming out with a C222ES, which will be stereo/multichannel and with a list price ($800) that's $400 cheaper than the 333ES list price. I have no idea if it will equal the sound of the 333ES. I also don't know if there'll be a multichannel version of the 333.

Seems that a strange time to discontinue the U.S.'s lowest priced SACD player, but there must be a reason. It only started selling around Thanksgiving. That's a very, very short time to sell/discontinue something. It wasn't the performance. It's a very good piece.
you have to call and speak with one of the reps there to order the 333es, the price was 599 something but they are at back order now and who knows thats was a few days ago, may be they discontinued the model already.