Sony SCD-C333ES a good buy?

I have been considering moving into the wonderful world of SACD after finding out this player can be had for only about $600 (don't ask me where =). I've read some reader-reviews in the April issue of Stereophile, and it seems that it doesn't touch the 777... but at this price, it costs less than 1/3 the cheapest new 777 I've seen online. Even though it's not the best CDP out there, is it a great buy at around $600? Right now I have a Marantz CD-6000 OSE (un-modded). Thanks in advance!

Dan
grossdp

Showing 4 responses by tommart

The $600 price is at J&R Music World. Their internet address is www.jandr.com.
The 333 is a stereo CD/SACD player. The C555 is a Stereo CD/multichannel SACD player.

The 333 can be bought for around $600. The C555 lists for $1700.
I hear the 333ES is being discontinued. You may find it at www.oade.com. In July, Sony is coming out with a C222ES, which will be stereo/multichannel and with a list price ($800) that's $400 cheaper than the 333ES list price. I have no idea if it will equal the sound of the 333ES. I also don't know if there'll be a multichannel version of the 333.

Seems that a strange time to discontinue the U.S.'s lowest priced SACD player, but there must be a reason. It only started selling around Thanksgiving. That's a very, very short time to sell/discontinue something. It wasn't the performance. It's a very good piece.