Sony SCD-C333ES a good buy?

I have been considering moving into the wonderful world of SACD after finding out this player can be had for only about $600 (don't ask me where =). I've read some reader-reviews in the April issue of Stereophile, and it seems that it doesn't touch the 777... but at this price, it costs less than 1/3 the cheapest new 777 I've seen online. Even though it's not the best CDP out there, is it a great buy at around $600? Right now I have a Marantz CD-6000 OSE (un-modded). Thanks in advance!

Dan
grossdp

Showing 1 response by grossdp

It seems to me that Sony has a nasty habit of replacing better older units with newer ones that have more features, prettier displays, and worse parts inside and out. Sony's recognizable brand name and market domination makes it possible to release newer units that seem like upgrades but are actually downgrades where it counts... isn't it possible that units like the SCD-777ES and the SCD-1, excellent units in terms of build quality and sound at relatively low prices, were created to make people more interested in SACD technology? I'm worried that newer units may not only cost less to buy, but much less to make as well due to cheaper parts since the arrogant Sony believes it already has a good market and the great reputation of a few discontinued units to lean on.

What about the upcoming Marantz units, the SA-12 and SA-14? I've heard they're supposed to have a relationship to the highly-acclaimed SA-1 analogous to that between the SCD-777ES and the SCD-1. Is this so? Will they be released at reasonable prices so a college student like me can buy one?