Sony SCD-C2000ES vs.222ES, 333ES and 555ES

I am currently using a Sony SCD-C2000ES CD changer as my dedicated SACD source.I do not want to use a DVD player nor do I desire a video display in this dedicated 2 channel system.I also can't justify putting a great deal of money into a player for the 20 or so SACD recordings I own.
That said,I purchased the $400 Sony SCD-C2000ES player for $225 NIB and am shocked at how good the SACD recordings sound in my system.I prefer them to vinyl on my Scoutmaster/Dynavector 20x rig.The Sony in SACD mode is also better than my excellent Forbidden City Turandot CD player and my Perpetual 3A DAC.Are the older Sony changers better? I am wary of the Marantz and music Hall players due to reported disc reading errors.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtransnova

Showing 1 response by shadorne

Transnova,

I use several of the cheapo Sony 200 to 300 disc CD changers (one bit type DAC's). Although I feed the optical into an AKM DAC in the DSP. I made the switch to mega changers about ten years ago after extensive auditions to much higher priced players. The differences were too small for my "tin ears" to sweat about. I also tried carefully comparing the Sony 1 bit DAC chips to the better AKM DAC chips, also to no avail...I simply couldn't hear a difference. No doubt I should be panicked about "jitter" but frankly I just like listening to music rather than fussing around with CD jackets, finding albums and feeding players...a small computer and screen does all the work for me...lines up a playlist and queues the music up for continous CD play.

Sony make good products - even at the lower end, IMHO. And making a decent sounding CD player ain't exactly rocket science (at least not any more). Making a speaker with performance specifications as good as CD's and most electronics....now that is rocket science, as even the best speakers are not even close...a quick look at most 3rd order speaker harmonic distortion is pretty scary!