Sony ES777 SACD vs EMC-1

I recently bought a Sony ES777 SACD player which has about 250-300 hours on it. The friend I bought it from just bought an Electrocompaniet EMC-1 CD player. He tells me that it's the best he's ever heard, and probably better sounding than the Sony. Of course he didn't hear the Sony fully broken in.

I was wondering if anyone has auditioned both of these machines, and if so, what differences they detected? Do you have a preference for one over the other?

While I really like my ES777, there always seems to be a better machine on the horizon, doesn't there?

Looking for opinions and guidance. Thanks, guys.

Ken
kenl

Showing 1 response by hearthis

Ken,

I have a EC-1 and it is smooth as silk. I have been looking for a CD player that sounded like a turntable for ten years and this is the one. It may be a little light on the audiophile pyrotechnics, but it sure is musical. I especially like the tuneful bass which as you know is the achilles heal of digital. A 24/96 update has been in the wind for about 6 months, which is a plug in upgrade to older machines. If you buy a used one make sure it has the clack not the gold feet (which means it's anewer machine) and I understand make the unit soud better. As for what to do, listen and let your ears decide. Good luck.