Sony DVP900ES compatability

Ok, I'm Mr.-know-it-all when it comes to audio, but, evidently, mucho stupid when it comes to DVD, etc. Here's situation:

Bought Sony DVP9000ES for Dad as a DVD player only because he's looking for one and I know his set takes Progressive 480 and call him up and, that day, he's gone off and bought a Pioneer! OK, no problem me thinks, the Sony is a great player and I'll just keep it. Hook it up, works fine, but 480 Progressive output scrambled. Chapter two: in Feb of '99 I was in the audio "industry" and got a good deal on a Mitsubishi HD1080 Diamond Hi-def. 50" (model VS 50803)and so took it. I wasn't into video but love sports and movies, and HD basically thrown in, so I went for it. Last three years been running it just with a Dan Wright-modded Pioneer DVD and have been relatively happy (except for the motor noise in the tray when playing, cheap transport, which is one of the reasons keeping the Sony appeals to me). Dealer that Mits relayed through from Mit Co. tells me 1080 model will decode 480 signal from Sony, but nothing on TV menu or backside, and manual it came with is omnibus one and doesn't even go into outputs! I tell dealer this and he says interlace (which Mits will input from Sony) is the same as 480 Progressive and just use that. But me thinks, if thats the case then 1) why does Sony output something called 480 and also something called interlace as if they are different things, which, just from my cursory reading of HT these last few years I remember they are, and 2) if Mits in fact takes 480 then why wouldn't its moniker read "HD1080/480"? Hmmm.

Even though only 3 yrs old, its an early HD set and I'm thinking it doesn't take 480 Progressive only "interlace" and the dealer is just shrugging me off.

I wouldn't use the Sony for audio, only a DVD player. Before I call Mits, I thought I'd ask you guys. So, am I about to place a new Sony up for sale?

Thanks for the help!
asa
Progressive scan displays 480 visble scan lines every cycle, Interlaced displays 240 even scan lines (every other scan line) each cycle, then the 240 odd scan lines the next cycle. Interlaced cycles are half the progressive cycle time.

The Mits must have a component input red-green-blue RCA's to accept a progressive scan signal.
I agree with Spectral. Are you using the component video inputs and outputs?
Tim
Yes, using Harmonix component cable. They carry the interlace signal but 480 is scrambled - as if you can see its the movie but like a station that doesn't come in. Talked to another rep at dealer and he confirmed that interlace is different from progressive and that other rep mistaken. He has same set from same year but has choice of 480 on his menu - mine doesn't. He's checking with Mits this morning and is getting back to me.

Thanks for your help.
Here's a story: dealer says that a couple of months after I bought my set in Feb 99 Mits came out with new model with 480 - mine doesn't have it. Morever, mine is actually an '98 model that Mits sold into '99. Mits didn't think 480 would catch on in '98, but when figured it out in '99 model realized how many people would be ticked off that they had bought the "most advanced set available" and couldn't play the newest thing that they offered '99 model buyers "The Promise Plan" which garanteed obsolescence against any future blunders on Mits behalf - but was not retroactive to '98 buyers. Nice....

There is no progressive mod available for my three year old HD and the dealer says trade in is $967 on a $4300 original retail. Thanks Mits.

And so it goes....