Sony 900ES SACD sound vs CD - Help

I now have a little over 120 hours on my 9000ES DVD. Here's the problem: When I use the Sony as a transport (The digital output fed into an MSB Link Dac 2) the sound quality is MUCH better than the Sony supplied SACD music played through the SACD internal decoding circuits and output form the analog outputs on the Sony.

How can this be? I thought the SACD was supposed to be much better than the CD. Is it possible that the SACD circuits need much more time to break in?

The Sony when used as a transport is almost as good as my SimAudio Moon Eclipse cd player (when also used as a transport) which has a floating suspension.

I have the Sony on a magnetic levitation system which I designed that floats it 1/4 to 1/2" off the shelf.
This isolates the transport and circuitry from low frequency vibration. The result is: better bass, more open midrange, and clearer highs.

I just don't understand why the SACD part of this doesn't sound as good as everyone says it does. Maybe the sampler sacd is very good?

Any ideas??
128x128darrell

Showing 8 responses by martice

I don't understand why someone would purchase a SACD player when there is no software for it. To me, it's like purchasing a computer that has limited software meanwhile crossing your fingers hoping that the software will grow. I don't know many people who would buy a computer with those odds at stake. Another point which probably explains the many used SOny 777es players for sale is that once you bring this unit home and you play all of the crappy SACD's that they offer, you start to wonder why did I pay all of this money for a unit that I can't play my favorite CD's using the format it was designed for and that sonic rewards while playing my regular CD's on this unit is marginal to OK? The only one I would purchase right now if I had to would be the Sony 9000es because it's a DVD progressive Scan and to me justifies the price of the unit. One line of thought that I choose to follow and it works "for me" is to let the software dictate the hardware purchases. I have a lot of CD's at home that I haven't realized their full potential yet so while Sony/Philips decide how they are going market this new format I will continue to try to get the most out of my regular CD's. I've sen many posts on other threads wondering if they can use their SACD player as a transport. Hey, just because there's a new format on the horizon doesn't mean that your many CD's are now obsolete. I'm sure the SACD format is sonically superior to regular CD's but if there is little software what did you purchase it for?
Drubin, I intended my last post to be helpful because there are a lot of people out there that are under the impression that their CD's are on the verge of becoming obsolete. I'm not kicking up dust but honestly, would you buy a computer if there was limited software for it? What did the CD have to do with how good your LP's sounded. All of us sold our turntables because of the lack of distribution of the LP's not necessarily because CD supposedly sounded better than the LP because we know that's not the case. Major companies stopped supporting LP's on the mass market scale so we really had no choice but to go to CD's for pop/commericial music. The industry hasn't shown that they are ready to commit to these new formats so until they do I will not invest in this format or DVD-A for that matter. New format or not, when I do feel like listening to a good old CD if one of these superior formats do take hold, I know that by investing in bettering the sound of CD player/DAC now I will only be insuring that they will always sound the best they can.
So in other words you've spent maybe $2,500 - $5,000 to have a better than average CD player(relative) and a SACD player that has limited software and is no shoe in to be around in the near future. I guarantee you that if this format doesn't stick you'll be looking for another DAC to do exactly what I suggest many should do until this format sticks and that's to better the sound quality of your present investment and let the software dictate what your purchase. This is my opinion only and is not meant to sound as if I'm forcing my opinions or beliefs on anyone but there are a lot of vulnerable shoppers on this forum and many others who are easy prey for marketing teams that create an atmosphere that suggests that you must have this new unit and this is the way to go without showing a level of commitment themselves in regards to software. Once again, the only unit I would purchase is the Sony 9000es because of it's progressive scan capabilities as a DVD player which has tons of support. Hey if they don't spend to get this format the proper support it needs to flourish then I'm not going to invest.
Well Jadem6. I appreciate your humor but in all seriousness, for you to say that the Sony 9000es is as good as most outboard Dac's just let's me know that Sony has you exactly where they want you. Hey, I'm not knocking anyone for how they choose to purchase their audio equipment but there are many people reading this post right now who are going to be influenced one way or another and I think it's best that they hear both sides of reason as opposed to purchasing on an emotional high. If you purchased the Sony 9000es and enjoy it, I'm happy for you. Infact, I did say that I would purchase it because of it's DVD video capabilities which to me minimizes the risk of it becoming totally obsolete in the near future.
In response to Drubin. I'm sure that everyone is an imformed purchaser like you and to prove it just look at some of the newbie questions that we have on this board. Maybe it is worth it to you to have an SACD playback deck in your system but what does that have to do with the software situation. What makes it worth it to purchase the Sony 777es which was the unit that I origionally questioned the many purchases as well as the many secondhand units for sale? I never questioned the purchases of the Sony 9000es unit. READ MAN READ!!! As far as saving all you dumb-ass poor slobs as you put it, all I can say is relax man it's only information in the form of an opinion. If my opinion on purchasing the 777es causes you to respond in such a manner especially when it's evident that you did not read it thoroughly enough to truely comprehend what I was saying, then it's no wonder you would buy a format that has no software support. You probably own the 777es or better yet, you probably don't and just want to be heard...
Hi JD. In regards to my quotes maybe I can clear a few of them up for you.
1. Crappy meaning crappy SACD selection (relative to taste)
2. SACD is sonically better sounding than regular CD's is true. However, that is not what anyone was debating here. My gripe is why spend all that money on hardware when there is not a lot of SACD software. If you find that the price of the SCD-1 justifies the price of the unit as a CD player than that's fine too. Who's knows, if you're lucky, SACD might make it as a permanent format and you will really look like a genius.
3.I haven't realized my systems potential yet as far as I'm concerned and so I tweak and will continue to do so.
4.You're right, I've never brought the SCD-1 player home to audition but then again, you answered the reason why you bought it already. It plays CD's very well.
5. No! I'm not on Drugs! But then again...
6. I still say like I said earlier that (I) think that the Sony 9000es is most attractive because it's already capable to play two major formats being DVD/CD discs and it's progressive scan capable.
6. I never mentioned anything about a $1,000 DAc but from what I hear, Ric from tweak audio might feel a little different about the performance of his DAC versus the SCD-1 as a CD player but that's for you to take up with him. My beef is software shortages.
Hi Drubin. If you're saying that the unit plays CD's very well or well enough to justify the price paid, then what can I or anyone say to that? Point taken!!
Well guys. I guess I debated myself to the point where I will take a chance on a Sony 9000es. I guess with what it offers I can't loose...can I?

See you guys around. Infact I'll let you know when I get it and burn it in and then I'll let you know what I think. Hopefully I'll be singing the same praises and the other owners.