Sony 9000es or Musical Fidelity A3 CDP.

Has anyone had the opportunity to listen to the sony 9000es in comparison to musical fidelity a3 cdp.Iam trying to get the best possible sound within that price and if possible not adding another component to my equiptment rack.My system consist of Aerial model 8 speakers,Classe amp Model 700s,Sonic Frontiers Line Stage Model SFL,Cables are FMS Wave and Cardis Cross.For theater iam using a NAD receiver Model T751.Thanks for any input.
brian27b

Showing 1 response by stehno

I would definitely go with the Sony 9000ES. I've had one for a year now and have been immensely impressed with it's performance for all three formats and video too. For $800 used or $1200 new, you can't find a product that will do more or better than this. I just purchased a new Sony SCD-1 SACD/cd player (Sony's best). The SCD-1 comes very highly rated. Right out of the box I could tell SCD-1 was a more sonically refined player in just about every category. Enough to put the SCD-1 in a different league but just enough. I was impressed with the improvements in every category, but I was also surprised that it wasn't mor e of a night and day difference. Whatever league the 9000ES is in has got to be the best in it's league.

If the SCD-1 were a 9.5 on a scale of 1 to 10, then the 9000ES would have to be about an 8.5. I'm not saying the SCD-1 is a 9.5 because I simply haven't listened to many players. But I know that Stereophile rates it right now as a Class A+.

The 9000ES is built like a tank, can be modified drastically by Stan Warren co-founder of PS Audio for $250 or by Dan Wright of ModWright from $250 to $1600 depending on options. Based on one testimony, the Stan Wright mod brought about a 40% improvement in sonics. Stan himself will state about a 25% improvement.

If you go for the 9000ES, have it modified, configure it so that all the digital and video are turned off (audio direct button), and the display lights go out after about 5 seconds after you press any control button thus minimizing any digital or LED display noises, You'd have one heck of a player. IMO.

Hope this helps.

-John