Sony 9000ES better CD/SACD than 999ES

is the 9000es still a much better cd and SACD player than the new 999es? i tend to me more critical when it comes to music than video. but how much better, if any, is the 999es video playback over the 9000es?

thanks in advance for any help here.
128x128kray

Showing 2 responses by yada

I am really impressed with the presentation of my Modwright Sony ns999es. I ordered what he considered was the max, and I do not regret the price. In my system, there is more to it than my EMC-1 24/192. They are using identical interconnects and set up identically except they have two different Elrod cords (which I alternate).

I really believe in modified players now. I will probably limit my future player purchases to those units that can be modified by aftermarket giants, such as Dan.

Does anyone with a track history modify a Lexicon mc-12B? I want to improve my HT.
Dear Tvad & Sol322:

I purchased a Demo/used Sony 999es with the signature truth mods, amp direct mod, Auricaps and tantalum resistors, black gates, upgraded FRED rectifiers, Electraprint transformer and choke, Super Regulator, analog Bybee filters, digital out Bybee filter, upgraded digital out RCA jack, Bybees on AC power, ERS paper, and multi channel op-amps. There might be a few other things, but this listing above is based upon the ModWright receipt.

The Sony was a recent purchase and perhaps it is slightly different than the unit you had purchased, Tvad. I agree about the Sony having the deeper bass response. I felt the output in midrange had a more liquid presentation than the EMC-1. The EMC-1 was just a little leaner. I output the Sony Audio DRC to wide and 24/96. The wide made the most difference. I am going to try and keep both of my players for a while, but if I sell, the EMC-1 will probably go first. The noise floor of the Sony competes with the xlr on the EMC-1, but I compared the two using RCA’s.

I am still using the clsIIz electrostats with Krell monos. My stereo is more resolving than its components normally present themselves in other listeners’ systems because I spent so much more on power, power cords, interconnects, and isolation relative to the price of the components I play. I spend a lot on tweaks. The speakers really reveal just about every little nuance at moderate volume up to about 89db or so. I often play late at night and this volume is really enough in a quiet house. In a dynamic speaker rig, I think the Sony would REALLY ROCK OUT.

I found the Sony ModWright to be a very fair value and I think I paid list for the entire project. In my porposal to Dan, I simply asked him to build it with everything he thought was worthwhile at the “going rate”. I did a lot of negotiation and discussion by email and I found that very convenient. A phone call to Dan helped him understand that I trusted his judgement and that I wouldn’t compromise him later for “carte blanche”.

The total price including the Sony is still less than what I could sell the EMC for “used” and that alone tells me I got a good deal when they sound so close in quality. In my opinion and the opinion of a few others who came over to listen, they think the ModWright Sony is really something very special. Jayctoy is right. ModWright is something very special.

I took a chance and bought this Sony thinking I would get a DVD player for the HT that could play redbook, but instead I ended up getting a new Source that holds its’ own against a more expensive player. I was a little arrogant thinking that any Source less than $5,000 list would not be up to par. Now I know about great mods and how they improve things.

I have not played the SACD yet. That will happen a little later on when the software arrives!