Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage and Single Ended Triod

Has anyone tried a SET tube amp with their SF Guarneri Homage?

Considering a 300B tube amp.
128x128rchan
Hi Rchan, I would be interested in this answer as well. However, i seriously doubt that any 300 B amp could drive the fairly inefficient GH's.
The GH's like a minimum of 50 watts/ch and come alive with 200+ watts/ch
IMHO. Which 300B amp are you considering?
Hi Daveyf,

The Cary CAD 300SE mono blocks were the ones that I was looking at. They are rated at 15 watts.

I also hear that the Wavac MD300B is suppose to be to die for but the problem is I rarely see them on Audiogon.

I have heard that you get 90% of the performance from a pair of Cary's which sell for about half the price of the Wavac.

What 300B amps were you looking at?

I am currently driving my GH with a McIntosh MC275-II. It sounds wonderful but I keep getting the itch to try 300B.
Hi Rchan,
I would be interested in the Jadis 300b amps and probably
the Air Tight 845's ( single ended but not 300B's) and the Air Tight 300's.
Like you say the Wavac's and the Cary's are contenders as well. BUT, like
I said, I doubt any of them would be a fit for the GH's.
The GH's are so revealing that I am pretty sure that the single ended
amps would be easily heard distorting once they began to get overdriven.
Nonetheless, i am curious, like you, as to this match-up.
I own a pair of the GH's and have driven them with a couple 300b SET's. It is not my usual pairing but it works for me because I enjoy low and medium volume levels.

I think you should try it, assuming you are not a headbanger. I love the 300b and the single ended sound is something I think everyone in our hobby should at least try once in their lifetime. It may not be for everyone and it requires a compatable speaker but once I heard it I was hooked.

BTW, I have a lot of respect for Cary amps. I own their Rocket 88 and V12i that I use on my Maggies. They are push pull but have a triode switch so I'm half way there (triode but not single ended). In that case I need the extra horsepower.