Sonus Faber Extrema vs. Guarneri

As I dream & wonder- Has anyone compared these two speakers? Differences? Similarities? Your preference & reasons?

I know there's a new & pricey Guarneri Momento as well. Big Bucks!
128x128rubinken

Showing 3 responses by sirspeedy70680e509

Thf,I never stated I thought they were the "best".I implied that I thought they were a superb speaker.As I'm sure you know,there is no best of anything,but a heck of alot of really good stuff.That's the fun of it all!

Best!
Trust me,I was in absolute amazement at the "complete" level of performance from the Extremas(I don't own a Sonus product,but can easily be honest,here).It did both subtle detail,gorgeous timbres and really amazing dynamics aplenty!It is DEFINITELY in need of powerful,super clean amps though.I thought it was superior to any Sonus product I have heard(just opinion),though I have not heard the Strad!
As to looks,it sort of reminded me of a BIG Kharma Exquisite Minimonitor,on a stand,only in solid(gorgeous)wood.The "indented lines" running down the top to front reminded me(in a good way)of that comparison.
As from what I can surmise,these were discontinued("what MORONS")because they were too tough a load to drive,as so many Euro hobbyists like to run low power amps.
I believe if introduced now,with the realization of better solid state,and tube designs,they would be a viable product.
I envy the "LUCKY" few who have,or can get a "MINT" pair.
Wife acceptance factor should be really high on these "masterpieces"!
I have been at this hobby for over 35 years and few designs "scream" heirloom quality,as these do.Sometimes a really great design doesn't need to be replaced,just because some review /marketing plan decides to push another design(good or not).Some products really stand the test of time.Just ask the "classic car" collector,or "classic watch" collector.

Best of luck!!
I have heard both,though not in comparison.Both fine products,BUT,the Extrema blew me away,with it's dynamic/harmonic presentation!!They are my favorite Sonus product.A classic,in every way!BTW--they do benefit from an add on super tweeter,as the fine silk dome rolls a bit too low.Other than that,"world class"!Oh,I forgot to add,STUNNING looks as well.Different and gorgeous!

Best!