Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 MkIII... USED PRICE...

Hi All,

Have been lurking around Audiogon for several years now but this is actually my first post and the subject matter has more than likely been answered before...

I undoubtedly know technology has moved on somewhat but I've read countless post's on the net praising the Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 MkIII DAC back in the day.

As such, I have the opportunity to purchase one of these highly rated DAC's in very good and working condition, except for a couple of cosmetic marks on the front facia. The seller is claiming the unit was Dexa modified and serviced at the same time last year at PCX (I've emailed Chris Johnson to verify this)... but nothing else, so no SE+ upgrade etc, etc.  

The seller is asking a firm US$1650

So, what do you guys think... is this a fair price for this unit or what should I be offering ?

If I go ahead with this purchase, it's almost mandatory to partner it with an Assemblage D2D-1 which I'll also be doing... should hopefully be a "revitalising" listen with the rest of my set-up !

stonie
Just be careful with these get it for a good price, they are very nice sounding for Redbook replay being R2R Multibit
But these use the not too popular Ultra Analog D2400A R2R Multibit coverters, which aren't the most reliable compared to mainstream makers like Burr Brown, Analog Devices, Philips, Texas ect
And if they go boom it will become a door stop. or boat anchor.

Cheers George    

Hi George... this is the MKIII not the MkII which uses the UA's. With the exception of contacting Chris at PCX, there's absolutely zero info on the net about the MkIII as it was a rare retrofit upgrade and unless I'm mistaken it uses a completely different digital board with BB PCM1704's, PMD200 and I2Se interface etc. The BB's were/are far more reliable than the UA's, albeit, just one of the reasons why this upgrade was originally offered !

As for a good price... any thoughts ?