Smoothest and best sounding turntable/cartridge combo up to $1600??

As the title of the thread reads, I am looking for recommendation for the best and smoothest sounding turntable/cartridge combo up to $1600.  I am replacing a restored and recently upgraded Thorens TD-145 turntable with a Audio Technica brand new 440MLb cartridge. I am finding that floating suspension turntables require more isolation against floor vibration.  Other than that, the table is very good. 

I also would prefer a more contemporary design.

Note: I will probably put the the Thorens on sale after reading the comments and recommendations to this thread.  Thank you for your feedback  

sunnyjim

Showing 2 responses by paraneer

Cartridges, like speakers, are transducers and highly subjective.  And the two most difficult components to recommend.  Just as you have probably been advised to auditions speakers, the same goes for cartridges.  We all perceive them differently.

If you cannot audition TT/Cartridges packages and must rely on a general consensus from users on the internet, I agree with the above that Grados, Denons and Shures are probably the opposite of the AT-440MLB. 

Noticed that no one mentioned Ortofon yet - most of their better cartridges go right down the middle. 

Finally there is a question of compliance in properly matching a cartridge to a tonearm.   Premounted TT/Cartridge packages are good because the manufacturers have looked at selecting cartridges for their tonearms that result in the proper resonant frequency of the combination. 

Here is an a curious point, why does VPI package the Ortofon 2MRed with Scout Jr TT, and also their discontinued Traveler V.2 TT.

Good question about the Scout Jr. and the 2m Red. I have no idea why this entry level cartridge is matched to this TT. My local VPI dealer said he would give a $100 credit if one wanted a Scout Jr,. without the 2M Red. Also, I am not aware of VPI packaging their Traveler V2 with a 2M Red. I have seen them with Grados.  I bought mine brand new sans cartridge and mounted an Ortofon Rondo Blue on it. Incredible combination.

Finally, when I suggested Ortofon, I said their "better" cartridges. And when I spoke about compliance and resonant frequency, I was referring to all TT/Cartridge packages such as the Clearaudio Concept, upper level Pro-ject packages mated with the fine Sumiko cartridges, and Rega combinations. Just not those with the 2M Red that I agree, is entry level. All pay attention to compliance ratings for proper tonearm/cartridge pairing. Good luck in your search.