SME 3009 II Unimporved -- "Thin" Sound

I would much appreciate any guidance/comments:  I am getting back into analogue after 20 years away, and had a opportunity to have a Thorens 124 and SME 3009 II Unimproved completely restored -- then set up by a knowledgeable technician.  My tech also recommended a Hana EH, which now has about 30 hours' time logged. Have tried BOTH the MM input on my Audible Illusions Modulus 3A, and the Schitt Mani into the AUX input of the Audible Illusions. Also purchased several current audiophile LP's of various genres -- for "trial" purposes.

To my ear, the result is "OK," but a bit lifeless.

Without drilling down too deeply into the physics and arm adjustments -- which I am 95% certain are correct -- can anyone enlighten me as to how I can improve. I suspect the hardware and mechanics -- given their age -- are capable of much better performance, but ... (after being accustomed to good quality digital reproduction) I am beginning to wonder if my expectations are too high!

THANKS, all!

wdesbrow
Hello stereo5.  Thanks for weighing in!

I currently have a schitt Mani phonostage and am using it through the aux input of the AI.  Aside from going to mm with SUT into the phono input, is there any other combination you recommend with the Hana EH?  

And of course, is there a particular mm cart(s) you recommend?

Thanks again
WD
Just try shimming/raising the mat to rule out improper VTA for your cartridge.

Setting up an arm to be "parallel" with the platter (not taking into consideration the optimum VTA for the cartridge) can be a huge mistake.

Note:  My SME is NOT parallel with the platter, nor have they rarely been, and its sounds really good.

Your non-improved arm with the original low-mass detachable head shell will have an effective mass of approx. 12.5 grams, which should be fine with the Hanna.

Amazing the advice you get from people with apparently zero knowledge (let alone first hand experience) with the SME non-improved arm.

If VTA is not the culprit, then cartridge loading would be the next thing to look into.

This will be my last post on the subject.

DeKay
Many tears ago I had a TD125/SME3009S2 (not improved) and a Denon 103D cartridge.  Nothing "dull" or "thin" about that sound.  Try a 103 cartridge.
I recently had also thin sounding coming from my SME3009 s2 Improved and just by changing the headshell to a Magnesium one the sound transformed completely.  Those old SME headshells give a very ringing sound, try something like magnesium, or carbon fiber that damps more the cartridge. Your hana is a fine cartridge, but I agree with the above that your gear deserves a better phono stage.