Single driver speakers. Are they worth considering ?

I don't mean electrostatic. How close to a full range speaker can you come with single driver ?
inna

Showing 10 responses by cal3713

Great thread.  I'm looking forward to hearing about more user experiences with different brands/approaches.
According to their published specifications, Cube Audio’s 10" driver is flat to 30hz: https://www.cubeaudio.eu/cube-audio-f10-neo (but does drop off at the top end above 10k)
@tkukeilk Congrats!  What a great outcome. 

How much did Salk charge for the cabinet construction?  I've been thinking about building my own as well, but was just planning on buying a 12" sealed box from Dayton Audio.  And any way for us to see a picture?

I'm interested in Cube Audio's cheating version.  Full range with subs with an 80/100Hz crossover.  I might build a version of it for myself.  You can buy the drivers and put them in a sealed box for under $5500 total cost.  Then I'd use the 2 x 12" cabinets from my Coincident PREs for the lowest registers.  Maybe you lose a bit of the magic of the full range driver by incorporating that crossover, but you also get full extension that way... and no crossover in the most important regions. 
@clearthinker Regardless of absolute necessity to hear the products yourself (in your own system at some point), I think the thread continues to provide very good information about the single driver approach.  I've learned about some brands.  Super useful.  Thanks for a productive thread folks.
With sub units augmenting < 100Hz, hence the discussion of crossing over...
@jayctoy Here's what I was told (by Jon at Refined Audio) about building a small sealed box for a pair of Cube Audio Drivers:  "I have a <slight> preference for the presentation of the 8” Neo over the 10” Neo.. Not sure where/how you would crossover, but it may be necessary to put in a baffle step correction if you are crossing over at a low frequency....The 8” Neo in a sealed box about .7 to 1 cubic feet is amazing, I used that for a long time... The open baffle has a big, open soundstage. The sealed box will have a smaller, but better defined soundstage. So it is a matter of taste. I prefer the sealed box with the Cube speakers…"