Simple question, probably stupid

Is it necessary to have sound (music or white noise) playing through the speakers when burning in new tubes? I have bought a matched quad of Shuguang KT88 Z Black Treasure tubes to compare with my current Gold Lion KT88 and Tung-Sol KT120 tubes in a Rogue Stereo 90 amp. Reviews of the Shuguang tubes indicate that they need around 200 hours of burn in to reach their true potential but I am not looking forward to having to listen to 200 hours of crap sound.

128x128mazian

Showing 1 response by rodman99999

This is a verbatim quote, from a letter Brent Jessee sends, whenever one buys valves from him:

"CARE AND FEEDING OF NEW TUBES: BREAK-IN
     New tubes need a break-in period before they can fully exhibit their true sonic character when used in audio circuits.

Preamp tubes especially benefit from a good break-in. This period may vary widely, but NOS vintage tubes usually need at least 48 hours of use, sometimes up to 100 hours.

New current production tubes need 24-48 hours typically.

Good break-in can be accomplished by either leaving your tube unit turned on in a no-signal condition for 2 days, or you can just enjoy the tubes for several hours each evening and they will be broken in after several weeks.

New tubes, especially NOS vintage tubes, may sound a bit edgy at first, but after the break-in period will mellow out and sound wonderful."