Silverline Sonata work ok with Cary 300B SEI

integrated amp? If anyone has used this combo, I'd appreciate any feedback, good or bad.

I'm thinking about making a major speaker upgrade. Currently running Soliloquy 6.2i's driven by BAT VK 200 ss amp, BAT VK30 tubed pre, Jolida JD 100.

I'm considering the following speakers:

1. Silverline Sonata Mk I or II are currently tops on my list: I like that they are high efficiency, are full range, look good, and allow use of a wide variety of amps, including low powered SET amps which are intriguing. The CARY 300B SEI integrated amp has always interested me. Just not sure if it has the kahoona's to drive the Sonata's to their maximum potential.

2. Vandersteen 3A Sigs. Supposedly a "can't miss" speaker, but my only interaction with Richard Vandersteen was very negative... this guy is a rude dude... kind of cooled my interest in all things Vandersteen. Also low WAF.

3. Tyler Accoustics Linbrook mMonitors or tower. Good looking speakers with a good reputation.

4. Sonus Faber Grand Home Piano. I hear good things about this speaker and Sonus Faber in general, but I'm not sure if this is enough of an upgrade to make a significant impact. Also concerned that it may not have the bass & dynamic impact that I'd like to hear when listening to rock.

5. Audio Physic Virgo's... probably out of my price range ($3K max used). Not sure if these are a great value, as they appear to be available fairly regularly.

Music interests range from Rock (Paul Westerberg is #1 on my list) to Dianna Krall, Lyle Lovett, Wilco, Son Volt, Jack Johnson, some Jazz & even classical on occassion.
128x128pdreher

Showing 1 response by pdreher

Howard,
Thanks for your input. I agree that my source (Jolida JD 100)is a weak link. The Jolida was actually a downgrade from a Meridian 588.. I only sold it so I could upgade to the BAT amp & pre (formerly had the YBA entry level 3 series amp & pre). The Meridian did bring my system to another level, but with limited funds available, I had to make some sacrifices to upgrade in other areas. I'm thinking of a Sony XA7ES for my next source (I don't do SACD). If my budget allows, maybe the Ayre CX-7.

Any other thoughts on the speakers... do you agree that they would be a significant upgrade over the Soliloquys as far as dynamics and bass response? Do you think the Cary 300B SEI would be an ideal match?

Also curious as to why you replaced the Sonatas? I'm guessing you like the Klipsch better?