Siemens CCa vs. Amperex PW 6922

Audio Note 300B amp with Dodd battery preamp and ASR Exclusive.

Has anyone had both at the same time and have some insight on which one would work with my system.

The Amperex PW seems high in price vs. the Siemens CCa GP.
128x128glory

Showing 9 responses by sirspeedy

Tvad,no problem....

Since I may be interested in pulling the trigger on a pricey threesome of PW's could you "please" give some descriptive/comparative input?

I'd really be interested in your comments!

Best
John...EXTREMELY NICE OF YOU!!!!!...but I am not the type to accept an offer "that" generous!!!

I am getting the Huntley/GNS modded pre/phono next week,and "still" have to burn in the new Teflon caps(which take forever,from what i hear) so any comparisons I do will have to wait.

I'm also, supposedly, getting my new Phantom this week,and will have some work to do,with set-up...I'll need alot of time with "VTA" -:)....(just kidding)

I DO have a very dear friend who can(and will,with little prodding from me)lend me his Amperex U.S.6922 PQ's,and "they" are very low noise.Some time down the road I guess.

Anyway,I cannot express just how nice I consider your offer to be.

You're lucky I didn't pitch you to loan me the Hyper-phono -:)

Warmest regards

Mark
This has been a subject(the original posting question)that has interested me for years!Yet,even with all these responses,I feel I still am in the dark regarding which is ultimately the better tube(all things being equal).

I've had good success with Amperex 7308,Ediswan 6922's(CV 5358 and 2492),and now some primo CCa's( I keep the CCa's in my phonostage as of now)....The older dreck I've tried,I won't even mention.

My friend(with almost identical equip)has gotten ripped off with dreck Teles,and we were both underwhelmed with the low noise/good testing Mullards we tried.He also has superb Amperex 6922 PQ U.S.,which I think we should A/B against his current fav,the CCa's.Might be interesting,now that he's made equip changes.

BUT....

Back to the original post question....I wish these were some folks who could "reliably" make the "comparison" of the CCa's against the PW's!

I now live with superb CCa's,but the "aura" of the PW does exist,and there really does NOT seem to be a reliable comparison,other than Joe's Tube Lore(a fun read)who uses a digital based system for his opinions!

In my case,I have a three tube phonostage,and am always wondering if I could get more with a nice threesome(I know where some are,but very expensive)of PW's,if I was to switch from the current CCa residents.

Mine are very quiet and I like them,but the reputation of the PW still fascinates me.

Btw,I have six(two additional/seperate back-up sets for my phonostage)very low noise Ediswan 6922's purchased years ago from Upscale Audio(before you "HAD" to buy equip too,in order to buy tubes).They are very good substitutes for my CCa's,and I keep them in case my 10,000 hr(supposedly) tubes go down.The Ediswan's I have are quite good."PLatinum Series" with much better low-noise numbers that Upscale Audio has been selling in the last few years.One reason I keep them.

Yet,I DO wish there was more feedback regarding the CCa vs PW,based on BOTH being in tip top shape,and just comparing the characteristics of sound!

Guess we'll never know -:)
Tvad,well I don't know why you seem to be ruffled by my comments.It is not to criticise anyone.But you do appear to be irritated.Sorry!

I still don't see anyone(including you)who has made any thorough,or meaningful comparisons.Enough good input,to make someone spend the kind of money these tubes command.

You basically say, "they are both microphonic,and you would stay away from both".But,you prefer the PW's.

Sorry,but that just is not much of a comparison,and I am not trying to be a smart-ass!It is just not much to go by.

Hence my comments,which basically was meant as a lament,for the lack of "enough feedback"(besides the "I like A vs B" one liners,which seems to be the extent of info on the subject).

At the asking price of NOS PW's,for an individual to find out for themselves,I was hoping to see a bit more.....That's it!Why so peeved?

So I stand by my comments which "only" reflect my remorse,for the lack of meaningful input!

Nothing personal!
Tvad,thanks...quite well put!

So I guess I need to decide if I would sell my Porsche,to get the BM'R -:)

Btw,I drive an all wheel drive Subaru,and am embarrased to say(in this company) I love it!

Best
Dvad,do you like the Amperex 6922 PQ USA White Label better than a very good set of CCa's?

Best
Hmm!!Now I'm gonna have to convince my pal,who has two back up "mint" sets of Amperex U.S.6922 PQ White Label's for an A/B with my primo CCa's.

Should be interesting

Thanks for all the feedback...."unless it costs me significant money"... -:)
New question,for the "Tube Gods"....

I understand there is a 6922 type "Pinched Waiste" CCa Phillips" label tube,that is supposedly "The Holy Grail" of PW's.From what I have read.

Being that the CCa's were made for German Tele companies,is it possible that "these" Phillips labeled PW/CCa's are the same as the "non CCa" 6922 PW tubes made by Amperex,only labeled with a CCa for shipment to Germany(and having the same characteristics)?...They do command a much higher price.....

I wonder if the Phillips CCa PW's are any better,sonically,than the Amperex PW's(not labeled CCa),which are SO sought after,and rare?A particular "seller" claims they "are" better.

From all of the "amazingly interesting" info I am attempting to gather(thanks to many of "you" great hobbyists)my intent is to see if I can attempt to get a "bit" more from my phono reproduction chain,which has just gone through another significant update/mod,from Great Northern Sound(V-Teflon caps,and a new P/S mod).

I was already very happy,but since I have already gone through multiple comparisons of cabling,and almost anything I could come up with,I "assume" the new updates will move me to an even higher resolution.So my phono section should be "even that much more sensitive".

Basically(and I know I am getting a little "nuts",but that is the hobby....No?)I am very happy with my Siemens CCa's,BUT due to the high prices of actually buying,and trying many quality tubes(I have done that too,but still have unanswered questions about some varieties)I am simply trying to get as much good info(from guys like you)and filing it away,until I feel comfortable shelling out the moola!

Sorry to be a pain-:)

Best
Rodman,my man -:)

So even the "Unicorn-like" Amperex PW's would not be as good?

Sheeesh,"those" are supposedly an amazing and incredibly rare tube,and there is even a "better" PW type,in the CCa Phillips PW?

This journey is becomming almost like a good "mystery movie"......Ya know,where the viewer is kept guessing until the very end!

I'm stsrting to think there is no end in Tubes-ville.....Or is the "marketing machine at work?

Best to all