Sibilance

Some recordings I hear it, sometimes I don’t. I just listened to "Time" from Pink Floyd’s Dark Side Of The Moon through BluOS and my Bluesound Node 2i, upgraded CJ PV-10AL, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen3, and Maggie 1.7is. It’s very noticeable to me on "S"s and high hat on that song. Thoughts?
jkf011

Showing 1 response by cd318

@lowrider57,
"There are different remasters of that album and they sound different. Sometimes it's hard to tell which version is being streamed."

I remember listening to a couple of 'remasters' back in the late 1990s of this and Led Zep IV and being disappointed at how they sounded no better than earlier (first gen?) CDs.

In fact it appeared as if someone had simply removed some of the tape hiss and elevated the treble response somewhat which resulted in a slightly less natural sounding disc.

I've been a little more wary of any so called remasters ever since.

There's also no doubt that some folks are more susceptible to this sibilance issue than others - and I'm certainly one of them.

I've witnessed people enjoying the sounds coming from loudspeakers that seemed to have ssuch serious treble issues that I could not listen through.
Having said that, I've never heard anything said in that regard about Magnepans, any of them.