Shelter 901 Cartridge

Is there an owner who uses this Cartridge ( not the 501 II ) and can write a few lines about the abilities of this one ?
Info about this one is very rare, but I heard it is absolutely amazing. True ??
Thanks
thomasheisig

Showing 3 responses by beanie

The Shelter 411 transformer is an ideal match for both the 501 and 901.The 411 is very transparent and totally quiet.Excellent buy at the price.

I highly recommend the VPI JMW 10 or 12 tonearms with the Shelters.
All Shelter products can be ordered directly from Japan.The company is Eifl Corp.They take credit cards.Email address is:
eiflcorp@netspace.or.jp.
Contact is Koji,who is very prompt and reliable in shipping
the goods.

Prices are:
Shelter 501 MKII - $650 US
901 1300
411 980.

Air freight is a further $27.
I have used the 501 for over 3 years and it is by a wide margin,the finest value in cartridges currently available.It does everything well.I replaced it by the Lyra Helikon,which is noticeably superior.The Helikon is faster,more detailed with more impact in the midbass.As a matter of fact,up to this point,I preferred the Helikon to every other cartridge I heard.

I then got the 901.The 901 posseses all the strengths of the Helikon and more.It projects a more expansive soundstage,is more harmonically complete with tighter bass and reveals more low level detail.The 901 is a significant step up from the 501 in every parameter of performance.The 901 may be double the price of the 501 ,but it is state of the art and I have personally not evaluated a better cartridge.