Setting up dual subwoofers to a two channel amp.

Any advice would be really great:

I am currently running a dual-mono 300B SET amp into two back-loaded horn single driver speakers. A very simple setup. I have two subwoofers on the way... This complicates things. They will be active subs with either Keiga or Dayton SPA plate amps. I would like to use the high level in/out on each sub. The problem is that I am using one dual mono amp to feed two "stereo" (two in/out each) plate amps which will power each sub and then send the signal to the horns. Basically I am using these two subwoofer amps that are designed have two channels in and out, but I am only feeding one signal into each. Anyone know the proper way to set something like this up without bridging my main amp?

Also, how badly is the signal going to the main speakers going to be degraded by putting a sub in between?

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
tjkurita

Showing 1 response by rodge827

I had a 2.2 set up with a single driver speaker, matching subs, and a 300b set amp. I ran direct from the amp to the main speaker then a jumper from the main speaker to the powered subs. I tried to dial in the subs as best as possible, but had nulls and phase issues at the crossover point that Jjrenman referred to.
I have since gotten away from horns and have a 2.2 set up using monitors and matching subs with a Dspeaker Antimode Dual Core 2.0. In reality you have an active system with each channel having it's own dedicated amp. Which will only need to provide enough power to run the driver to full excursion. Very smart for good sound!
I use my Dual Core as a preamp and dac with a transport to the internal dac. There are 2 digital inputs, optical SPDIF and USB, XLR and RCA analog inputs, with XLR and RCA outs.

So how will this work for you?

With the Dual Core you can measure the room and see where your horns begin to drop off and set your subs crossovers accordingly.
ie: My monitors drop off steeply at 100hz. I use a XLR to RCA cable from the XLR out to a single ended amp for the monitors. Then from the RCA outs to the subs amps dialed in at 100hz. I Then run a room correction at 150hz (or which ever point you want to choose up to 500hz) which fixes room nulls, and phase issues, as well as correcting the crossover point. The Dual Core's algorithm is so good that if you miss the proper crossover point by a few hz, it will make adjustments to bring the frequencies to proper alignment.

The Dual Core are around $1100.00 and will give you the great sub to speaker integration, as well as tone controls, equalizer, room measuring, tilt and house controls, up to 4 different profiles to save corrections in, asynchronous USB input, optical digital out, and support fron Dspeaker for future firm ware updates.

Oh by the way the Dual Core is responsible for the best bass and over all sound I have ever had in my room. ALSO *I'm not affiliated with Dspeaker in any way other than a very pleased customer.*

Dspeaker Dual Core

http://www.simplifiaudio.com/online_store/dspeaker_store.html